1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher training interview questions 15/16

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by gh194380, Nov 15, 2015.

1. gh194380

gh194380 New commenter

Hi Guys,

I know there are already quite a few threads around but perhaps it might be useful to have one for this year.

If anyone has had an interview already please post your questions below so others can prepare for what they might be asked.

I've had 2 interviews for Secondary schools direct and SCITT so far and here's what I can remember:

1) Why do you want to be a teacher?
    2) What do you think the biggest challenges are for teachers at the moment? (They really liked the fact I spoke about the recruitment crisis in Secondary and also workload)
    2) Explain how you would teach *insert challenging topic for your subject* to a challenging year XYZ class? (They liked the fact I talked about contextualizing the topic to make it relevant to students)
    3) How can you contribute to a wider school role? (Do you have an interest that might be good for an after school or lunchtime club?)
    4) What is your role as a teacher outside of the classroom? (Pastoral support, safeguarding - they really liked it when I mentioned this)
    5) What are your areas for development in terms of subject knowledge and how will you bridge these gaps?

In both I had around 10-12 questions so i'll add the rest to the thread as I remember them.

The gist I got was that they'd prefer it if you have already passed your skills tests too, or at least booked it.

Rough structure of the day:
    - Introduction/Tour
    - Presentation/30 min lesson to students
    - Subject knowledge test (AS or GCSE paper in my subject). They told me this was mainly to assess any gaps in my subject knowledge as opposed to making a judgement based on the result.
    - Writing test. Mine asked me about when i've worked in a team, when i've overcome a challenge and when i've worked under pressure
    - Interview (I also got offered a place at the end of this too)

Hope this helps :)

ginn3810 and crookesm1 like this.
  2. chloe_95

chloe_95 New commenter

Congratulations on being offered a place.
    I had a SCITT interview on Friday (primary though, and I didn't get offered it) and have another on Wednesday.
    Structure of the day was a brief formal interview, a tour of the school, 20 minute lesson to 10 students, interview by school council, then a writing task.

Questions (that I can remember) were..
    What would you do if a child disclosed something to you?
    Why do you want to work in this area?
    What do you think a teachers typical day looks like?
    What are your understanding of current issues in education?

Hope this helps someone

3. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

For my Psychology/Social Science SCITT I had a 15 min teaching episode, followed by a subject audit (I had to honestly go through the AS/A2 specification and say what I was confident in knowing etc), a practice numeracy/literacy test and then a formal interview (Was offered a full place).

Questions (that I remember) included:
    What is something that inspires you about your subject? (This is a personal question)
    What is your proudest moment so far? (Personal question)
    What qualities do teachers have? (Organisation, punctuality, communication etc)
    How do you feel your lesson went? (discuss my teaching episode)
    What would you change about your lesson? (discuss teaching episode/feedback)
    What do you know about safeguarding. (Obvious question)
    Explain a time you've worked in a team and how this relates to teaching? (another obvious question)