1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher training affect personal life?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by London470, Sep 19, 2020.

1. London470

London470 New commenter

I have thought about doing a Secondary PGCE. I have recently met a wonderful man but am hesitant to get into a relationship with him as I have been advised that doing a PGCE is very time consuming and I don't want to break up with someone as I would need to focus on my course. I really like this man but don't know how he would feel about rarely seeing each other. Also, would there be time for me to see friends or go to the gym? I want a rewarding career but must have a rewarding home life too.

2. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Wow! This is the proverbial 'How long is a piece of string?' question. You will probably get as many different answers as there are trainee and qualified teachers out there. It really is very subjective. How difficult you will find the PGCE will depend on you; whoever is running the course; your placement schools; and your supervising teachers. How your 'man' will feel about the 'unknown' amount of time you'll spend working will depend on him.
    You might simply have to give it a go, both of you with your eyes open, and see how it goes. My crystal ball simply doesn't have the bandwidth. Sorry.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Life is tough as a teacher, there is no getting away from it.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. trebleklef

trebleklef New commenter

Teacher training is difficult, teaching is difficult... Sacrifices in your personal life have to be made, it's part of the job nowadays

Marshall likes this.
  5. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I got together with someone just before starting my PGCE. 20 odd years later we are still together. I've been a full time teacher for most of that time.
    The PGCE will be demanding, as will teaching, but you describe this man as wonderful so don't let him pass you by. Good luck!

VeronicAmb and agathamorse like this.
  6. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

Live your life. It's too short and don't let opportunities for happiness pass you by. There's always a solution and way around things. Plenty of people face these challenges in their personal lives and it's how we navigate and manage them that's the issue.

motorhomer, agathamorse and bonxie like this.
  7. zetafunction

zetafunction New commenter

Please either choose life or teaching they are mutually exclusive, so if teaching is the preferred choice forget about appreciating life outside school even after 10 years of teaching, you carry the place in your head. ( Just in case you are wondering what makes me to say the above===> 15 years of teaching)

littlejackhorner likes this.
  8. JJ83

JJ83 Occasional commenter

Depends on where you do your PGCE, each course has different expectations, also depends on YOUR motivation and time management skills

9. 43Meadows

43Meadows New commenter

It all comes down to time management. I maintained my relationship as my partner is very supportive so would cook meals on the evenings he was home, walk my dog for me etc so that I could crack on with my work (he works away part of the week).

I always had a Friday night off from working so could see my partner/family/friends and I kept Sunday fairly free unless I had an assignment due. Life certainly changes and I had to give up some hobbies I enjoy but it isn’t forever.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, the PGCE course can be pretty demanding, so things might get a bit difficult. But nice guys are a bit like buses. They do not come round every five minutes.

11. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Teachers in English state school live a double life - almost total lack of free time and energy for 39 weeks a year and a surfeit of time and energy for 13.

Other types of school are available.

Either way, this level of overthinking is a fast-track to misery - stop planning your life and start living it.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I didn’t find the PGCE too bad. I did what needed to be done instead of the more unnecessary stuff and still managed to have a life. I was lucky in that my placement schools also had that approach. It is possible, you do have to be well disciplined but you can have a life too.

agathamorse likes this.