1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher Trade Unions for Trainee Teachers

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by CharlMarie, Jul 26, 2016.

1. CharlMarie

CharlMarie New commenter

Hi all,

I'm starting my PGCE Schools Direct in September and just wondered if anyone has a recommendation about which Union to join as a trainee teacher?

I know most unions accept trainees for free but just wondered what people's opinions were on the different trade unions?

Thanks!

2. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Join all for free in your training year.
    Voice - non striking so best if you feel strongly about not striking
    NUT - more likely to go on strike
    NASUWT - occasionally strike in conjunction with NUT
    ATL - includes more than just teaching staff e.g. lecturers, tas etc

The advice I was given (and have stuck with to this day) is once you're out your training year, find out quietly what the majority union is in your NQT school and join that one.

1 person likes this.
  3. CharlMarie

CharlMarie New commenter

Thanks Purplecarrot! I'll check them all out!

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

See which ones offer training in your areas as well.

I joined one that has offered several whole day training courses, which are free for members, even though I don't agree with all of the ideals.

I also joined one where I knew the president of the local branch, so could get involved with the local group.

Do try to be involved if you can manage it.

But I'd join them all in the training year, some are free or massively discounted for NQTs as well.

1 person likes this.
  5. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

It is very likely that NUT and ATL will be merging in 2017 in order to have stronger bargaining power.

CharlMarie likes this.
  6. AngelEd22

AngelEd22 New commenter

Is it free for trainees to join NUT. This is the union most teachers I know are in.

CharlMarie likes this.
  7. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Yes, trainees and NQTs do not pay. Find out what events are on for new teachers and make the most of your membership.

8. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Just bumping this post. It is free to join a trade union as soon as you commence training. All unions offer professional support to teachers, free advice, free training and a range of campaigns to give you a voice in national policy making.
    We are not just there to strike.
    Join a union, visit the websites, make up your mind. Get involved. All local meetings are open to members. You can reclaim travel expenses. If you have views about your school or training provider, you can speak in confidence to trained caseworkers.
    We are first and foremost teachers. All NUT, ATL and NASUWT representatives have this in common. We know the job; we know it can only be done by qualified professionals.
    Good luck in your career. Let us help you on your way.

Caligraphy and (deleted member) like this.
  9. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

Look to see what free training each union is offering to student and new teachers as well. The NUT, for instance, usually runs a free weekend residential course for student members at Stoke Rochford Hall in May each year which is great preparation for your first year in teaching.

10. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I'd been with the ATL as a TA before training so just changed my membership with them. As a trainee, I've found ATL's training opportunities to be great. However, I'm also a member of the NUT. Most courses have union reps visit fairly early on to talk about the need for being in a union and we were advised by those reps to join as many as possible in our training year so that we could then make a genuinely informed choice when it comes to paying for union membership.