1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher to TA...will I be viewed negatively?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by littlemissnewbie, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hi all...
    I spent 4 years as a teacher and decided teaching wasnt for me, I made myself quite ill by continuing in my job and ended up having to have a long time off work. I'm now feeling so much better and wanting to start looking at jobs. I absolutely loved working with the children and feel like I would still like to work in a school but in more of a support role as a TA. The only thing is I'm really worried that in applying for a Ta role they may view me cautiously...firstly because they wonder why I'm not applying for a teacher role, and secondly because I had to have a lot of time off at the end of my teaching period. Does anyone have any experience of being in a similar situation, or have any advice as to how to get around this?
    Thanks xx

2. Hi all...
    I spent 4 years as a teacher and decided teaching wasnt for me, I made myself quite ill by continuing in my job and ended up having to have a long time off work. I'm now feeling so much better and wanting to start looking at jobs. I absolutely loved working with the children and feel like I would still like to work in a school but in more of a support role as a TA. The only thing is I'm really worried that in applying for a Ta role they may view me cautiously...firstly because they wonder why I'm not applying for a teacher role, and secondly because I had to have a lot of time off at the end of my teaching period. Does anyone have any experience of being in a similar situation, or have any advice as to how to get around this?
    Thanks xx

3. I've recently done as you suggest after a very 'bitty' career with lots of gaps, supply, short part-time contracts and for the last 5 years nothing. My last full time teaching job was in 1988!
    My secondary school were glad to employ someone with such a variety of experience and flexible skills, so play these up on your application.
    On a note of caution, be very clear about the job description and pay. I have not stuck up for myself enough and now find they are getting a very cheap teacher out of me and no more money than my original level 2 TA salary
    Many of the other support staff are new and lots of them have come from many different jobs. It is enthusiasm and their varied skills base that make us a good team...this is what schools need.

4. I think you would be well recieved although it seems lots of teachers are doing it. It is hard now to get into teaching assistant roles and to change within teaching assistant roles without meeting a teacher who is applying too. Some schools only interview teachers that apply.

5. Thanks - i just wondered how to explain why I was wanting to change roles without it looking bad!? Ifind it quite hard to put into words why I feel I'd be more suited to a TA role without sounding bad... Also a bit worried about how to approach the subject of me having had a lot of time off x

6. Did you have a lot of time off sick or you had a period of time when you had no employment? If it's the latter could you say you had family commitments or you started your own business or had the opportunity to travel? I am not sure what the rules are on disclosure of sickness records.
    If you go for interview make sure you are clear about what the role would be. Will you be asked to teach whole classes, in a HLTA type role and if so would you be paid at a higher rate? Be careful if you get a job not to be too eager to please and then end up doing far more than you are paid for.
    Good luck. The TA role can be very rewarding. I do sometimes wish that I hadn't been so willing to do my HLTA training when asked by the Head. As a HLTA I have a much more stressful time than I did as a classroom TA. If you do not want any whole class teaching, marking and assessment as well as other responsibilities look for level 2/3 TA roles and avoid HLTA posts or roles that require you to whole class teach.
    Good luck [​IMG]

7. Pugwash

Pugwash New commenter

I was a teacher for about 4 years or so but I didn't complete induction as I had trouble controlling behaviour. I did a middle years PGCE but I was mainly teaching in secondary schools. My most positive experiences were in primary and middle schools and as supply. After many short term contracts and supply work I ended up taking a job as chemist in inducstry. I've been out of education for 2 years now but I've been applying for education support jobs in schools and colleges for at least 18 months - with no joy! I've tried technician, TA, cover supervisor work and assessor/trainer with no luck. I'm now applying for HLTA positions in maths at secondary at the moment but I'd like to support science at some point too.
    Maybe I need recent experience to help my applications along? I could be viewed negatively especially if I admit I had trouble with behaviour management....Many teachers in the school I'm referring to had trouble managing behaviour too and there was little support so I'm applying for postions in the schools I know have good leadership. By doing lots of short term supply I've gotton to know which schools are the good ones and which to avoid like the plague.

8. Yea it was time off sick (long term) suffering from stress and exhaustion, I had a bit of a breakdown and worries about having to deal with this in applications/ interviews :-S x

9. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

What does it ask on your LEA application form?
    For my LEA 2 of the questions are ;

t school[/i].

and
    Pleassickness absence
    months.

Plus there's the medical before starting employment if/when you get a job.
    Have you been able to volunteer in any schools since finishing as a teacher?

10. Off the top of my head I think the questions on the application are pretty similar. I think a lot of the problem stemmed from the school itself but don't want to say that in any interviews as don't want to look like I'm slagging anyone off!
    No I havent done any volunteering since leaving (have just left) so thinking this may be a good idea x