1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher to TA in an independent school

Discussion in 'Independent' started by tina11, Oct 18, 2019.

1. tina11

tina11 New commenter

Hi

I am currently a teacher working 2 days a week. I am on ups2 and I have applied to a ta level 3 job in an independent school in the midlands. My son attends the school and I currently pay fees for him to attend. They have advertised the pay as competitive, so I am unsure what the pay will be. Does anybody know what ta pay or benefits are in an independent school and how likely I am to get the job? Any help on what to expect in an interview is also much appreciated.
    Any other help is much appreciated.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Pay and benefits vary so much it is impossible to say.
    You will get a reduction in fees for your son if you are employed, but the percentage could be anything from 1% to 90%.
    I would think a full time TA post would be a similar wage to a 2 days a week teaching role.

3. tina11

tina11 New commenter

Thank you for your message. The low pay worries me. I am hoping as I am a qualified teacher I may get paid more, however I also know this may not be the case.

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I think this is unlikely. I assume they are advertising for a TA because that is what they need and that is what they are prepared to pay for. It’s possible their goals may change when they see your application if they actually need a teacher or part-time teacher as well, but if you apply for a TA post then you need to be prepared for a TA salary.
    I knew a TA who had been at an independent school over twenty years and was earning around £16,000 full-time.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You may.
    You may not.

Are the school going to get something more from you as a qualified teacher than they would appointing someone without qts? We have a TA with qts, who gets paid more than the other TAs, but she teaches the EYFS and KS1 language lessons and runs a language club after school.

If you can offer something more than a non-teacher TA, then you could well earn more.