1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher to HLTA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Cupcake26, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Hi, I was wondering if there are any HLTA's/TA's out there who were formerly teachers? I am a Primary RQT and am finding the workload as a teacher completely unmanageable and am seriously considering leaving teaching.
    I love being with the children though and in the classroom and so it seems a shame to leave education altogether. I would really like to hear stories from anyone that has done this/knows someone who has done this or is thinking something similar!

2. Hi, I was wondering if there are any HLTA's/TA's out there who were formerly teachers? I am a Primary RQT and am finding the workload as a teacher completely unmanageable and am seriously considering leaving teaching.
    I love being with the children though and in the classroom and so it seems a shame to leave education altogether. I would really like to hear stories from anyone that has done this/knows someone who has done this or is thinking something similar!

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I have worked with teachers who have done this and all have regretted it because it has closed the door to teaching again for them. I'm sure there are teachers who are not up to the job and are happier doing support, but I've not met them. One of our Cover Supervisors is an ex teacher and she regrets the move but, of course, appreciates the improved work/life balance. Then again, I'm Secondary and so the lot of a TA or HTLA is very different to what you're thinking about doing.
    I would suggest you give it a bit longer if you can. The first couple of years are always harder because you've so much more to learn. In Secondary, this is the hardest time of year. After Easter, it gets much easier and, while you don't have the extra frees from exam classes leaving, everything seems better in the summer with longer days and brighter weather. And, of course, the summer holidays being ever nearer.