1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher timetable and class number

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by rossbash, Jun 25, 2020.

1. rossbash

rossbash New commenter

Hi All,

I am starting a geography secondary PGCE in September and am curious about a typical teachers timetable during school hours. I am interested to know how much time is typically spent in the classroom teaching; how many classes a teacher typically has; and how many times a week you would teach each class. I understand that teachers, schools and subjects will vary greatly but a guide or access to a timetable would be useful please.

Many thanks in advance,

Ross.

Pomza likes this.
  2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Typical timetable: 5 lessons per day, often on a fortnightly timetable. (I suspect the three-100-minute-lesson day timetable may be more popular next year, as it reduces movement and therefore possibly also covid risks.) Standard teaching allocation 45/50 lessons, newly qualified teachers 40/50. Those with positions of responsibility may get extra non-contacts.
    Geography is likely to get about 3 lessons per fortnight in KS3; sometimes that's organised differently (eg pupils have 7/8 lessons of humanities, rotating round geography/history/RE over the course of the year). GCSE groups will have more time - 5 hours per fortnight? Most sensible schools give teachers a fair balance between KS3/4, but obviously this will depend on take-up of the subject at GCSE.

Pomza, phlogiston and strawbs like this.
  3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Fairly similar to the above post - in some schools lessons can be all singles (45mins, 50 mins or 1 hour), or with 45 minutes "doubles" are then very common. Some schools do have 2 hr doubles. Anything therefore between 3 and 7 lessons per day, plus a form /tutor group session.
    Core subjects (Eng/Mat/Sci) get the most lessons - between 3 and 4 hrs a week typically. Geography could be maybe 1 or 1.5hrs a week.
    Fortnightly timetables are increasingly common to allow some subjects like maybe music a longer block of time once per fortnight than a shorter time every week.
    If you had a school with 6 periods a day, so 30 a week, the load for a full time teacher would be 27/30 as we are guaranteed a minimum 10% "free" called PPA for planning etc. NQTs in their 1st year get an additional 10% off timetable, so 24/30 periods taught..
    KS3 is y7,8,9 in a lot of schools, but only y7,8 in others as they have gone for a 3yr GCSE. Geography is an option subject, so in some schools it would be studied for 3 yrs at KS3, then pupils can choose to take it or not, but in other schools they may only study it for 2 yrs.
    IN my experience it can be one of the most popular GCSEs, with perhaps half a year group taking it. It (along with Haistory0 is one of the so called Ebacc subjects, and some schools insist pupils opt for one of these.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. rossbash

rossbash New commenter

That's very useful information from both of you, thank you very much!

Pomza and strawbs like this.