1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher/Teaching assistant UAE?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by bastet213, Aug 21, 2017.

1. bastet213

bastet213 New commenter

My husband's got a job in UAE and we will be moving there soon. I have CACHE level 3 in childcare and would like to get a job in the nursery and will be under my husband's visa. I have done some research/ made direct phone calls and found very confusing information in terms of salary, benefits and paper work with some nurseries offering me paid trail periods with no documentations? I don't know how i feel about that and would appreciate if anyone can advise me on salary range for some of my experience and also the correct recruitment process.My husband is employed by a British company so the process was much like UK, very simple and straight forward hence he can not help me on this.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

im no expert here, but you would probably be hired as a "local hire" and the salary and "package" (if they offer one) will probably be a very very very low one.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

If we are talking about a job as a TA at a school in the Middle East, then could you explain why any school would prefer to hire a British expat? A British TA would probably be more expensive and she (or he) probably would not be able to speak Arabic. Of course there might be some schools where most of the parents are not Arabic speakers, but then again there are quite a few schools where many parents speak little or no English, so an Arabic-speaking TA is essential. Here in China, all of the TAs at my school in Shenzhen are Chinese and it was much the same story when this overweight African beast was in the ME.

4. bastet213

bastet213 New commenter

i mentioned "nursery". i agree most people do not speak English but they want their kids to go to British nurseries with British teachers/assistants and if you have lived in UAE you would know this. They also have Arabic teachers

5. bastet213

bastet213 New commenter

yes sure but just need to get an idea around how much though

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i just googled it and it came out to just over $1000 a month. i have no idea how accurate that would be though.

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Most decent schools in UAE/Dubai prefer UK expat local hire because the British 'culture' is seen as one which is positive and desirable. Most schools also have English as the common language and not only want this as a necessity, but an English accent is a bonus on top of this.
    Don't even consider local schools as the money will be dire and the children can be very badly behaved.
    There are now over a hundred UK curriculum schools in the UAE and with your Cache Level 3 you will be in good stead.
    Salaries vary a lot from around 4,000 AED pcm (£800) and 8,000 AED pcm (£1600). You will be employed as local hire which essentially means you get a salary and school holidays. Your other benefits (flights, health care, accommodation) will come via your husbands job. Where will he be working?
    We are not allowed to name schools here so if you want more details regarding which schools, please PM me.
    My wife and daughter both worked as TA's in Dubai whilst I was there and got jobs relatively easily (my daughter flew in and had a job within a week).

antotom, Mr_Frosty, hollylou0 and 4 others like this.
  8. Jaz13

Jaz13 New commenter

Hi I am also interested in working in Dubai but am unsure as to how to go about it
    I have a foundation degree in early years which is equivalent to a level 5 .
    I am considering topping this up to a full degree but wanted to see if there was any chance of getting a job with my current qualification
    do you have any information about this in terms of who is best to contact for jobs as I have directly messaged schools but so far had no response?
    please help
    thanks
    Jasmine

9. stopwatch

By 'Foundation Degree' do you mean a Bachelors Degree? if so, this is sufficient to get a job. I 'only' have a BEd, although I have supplemented this with addition level 3, 4 and 5 courses over the (numerous) years I have been teaching. I managed to get 4 jobs so far since 2001 with merely my BEd.
    The bigger hurdle will be your number of years teaching experience as most decent schools insist on at least 2 years UK experience. Those who accept less than 2 years are probably not worth working for (although they will likely profess that they are!)
    You are unlikely to get responses to direct approaches to schools as they rely more on direct recruiting (no doubt some will quote exceptions to this). Particularly as the better schools have people queuing up to work there, HR departments will not bother replying to/chasing up direct enquiries.
    Hope this helps :)

10. VS400

VS400 New commenter

Stopwatch- just a quick question, maybe you know the answer. Are there any schools that offer a discount on fees for local hires? My husband isn't in education and gets a good package except no school fees. I'm a teacher but would be considered a local hire (we are in SA at the mo but moving to Dubai in a few months.) I was thinking of trying to negotiate them but not sure if that's even a possibility. Thanks in advance!

11. stopwatch

Hello VS400, it is not the norm to give any benefits to local hire. Having said that, it is worth explaining your situation (husband gets no school fees) and asking if they would give a discount.
    If you husband is getting a good salary, then the school may say that, despite not getting school fees, he is earning enough to pay them himself. I have seen similar where a local hire spouse doesn't get accommodation allowance, but is earning e.g. 50,000 AED per month (£10,000) so easily enough to pay for accommodation.

12. VS400

VS400 New commenter

Thank you for the reply. I fear that may be the case. To be fair the no school fees was good when we didn't have kids as it was included in his salary. Now it feels like cash coming out our account for no reason. To be fair he isn't quite at school age so a bit of time to worry about it! Thanks for that.

13. Jaz13

Jaz13 New commenter

hi thanks for replying just wondered do you have any links or information on who to contact for jobs in the uae?
    also unfortunately its not the bachelors degree I am going to continue and top up my foundation degree which will mean I should a full bachelors degree next year but I just wanted to test the waters in terms of jobs or work for this area
    thanks again
    Jasmine

14. stopwatch

Sorry to sound a bit thick but what is a 'Foundation Degree'? I thought the first level Degree was a Bachelors.

I don't have any direct contacts and as I mentioned, contacting directly is unlikely to bear much fruit anyway. I would look at the TES jobs pages to get an idea of what kinds of things are available. In addition check 'expatwoman' website which gives a picture of everyday life in Dubai as well as having job vacancies, including non-teaching

15. Jaz13

Jaz13 New commenter

hi no that's fine its the equivalent of a level 5
    kind of like half a degree lol I was supposed to carry on and top it up for a another of studying but got married and then had children and it just got put on the back burner
    if I do another year of study I will then have a batchelors in early years
    thanks so much for your help
    jasmine

16. shirinshween

shirinshween New commenter

Hi, I just came across your post after doing some research into TA jobs in Dubai. I couldn't find the option to PM you for further info. I'd be super grateful for your advice and tips.

Thanks

17. rednelly84

rednelly84 Occasional commenter

Hi Jaz13. To work in a school in the UAE as a teacher, you will require a basic minimum of a B.Ed. Nurseries will only employ ladies who are on their husband's or father's visas. To work as a Classroom/Teaching Assistant, the same applies; potential candidates must be on their husband's or father's visa and only GCSEs are required. Make sure you get any certificates attested by your notary and the Embassy. You'll receive a salary only in this case. All other benefits, as stated by others here, will come via your husband's package.

antotom likes this.
  18. angelacollins07

angelacollins07 New commenter