1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher suspended by GTC Again!

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Orion, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Orion

Orion New commenter

Hey, I have just read about how the GTC has banned this teacher for showing videos about extraction of semen from animals and the spider drugs video.

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/9114799.

Spiders_on_drugs___teacher_suspended/ I am assuming that the video on spiders on drugs is this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHzdsFiBbFc which has been viewed 27,035,864 times!

Also I assume that the animal semen video is tastefully done as I have seen this on TV (before watershed) before on programmes like country file many times before. I am not sure really have read the story in the TES and this online as to the problem that the GTC has. The drugs video is something which our Y10 study and images from the movie are shown in an approved Nelson Thornes text book as well. The video only shows a bit of a tongue in cheek bit to add to it about the spider getting a restraining order which is hardly a capital offence! The part about extraction of semen from animals for artificial insemination also comes into Y9 science as well or maybe Y8 depending on how you structure you lessons but as it goes on in every farm I am not sure as to the problem. In fact some farms have their children helping in the process and you can actually see animals having sex on farms everyday if you want to, so not sure of the issue. Every pig, cow etc.. eaten in this country is made in this way so I am unsure of the issue.

Can anyone throw any light onto what law was actually broken or any issue with this teacher as I am struggling to work it out. Or was it another witch hunt by management for a teacher who they wanted out?

2. This is Scotland, so GTC(E) has no sway here, but...
    I think this may hold a clue:
    [she played] "inappropriate" videos during a Year 8 science lesson. A General Teaching Council for England (GTC) panel heard they "disturbed the pupils and offended their parents". https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6095378
    Very possibly a case of 'new teacher making us work - let's get her sorted'
    And it all happened at an 'Outstanding' (Ofsted) academy. So it's very possible she was stitched up.
    I do like one of the comments in the paper about the drugs (to paraphrse): if it disturbed the kids, then maybe they'll think twice about doing drugs themselves... So an effective point of teaching/learning!

3. If it's the spiders on drugs video I watched on youtube (after I posted the above), I can see why they didn't like it; too jokey about drugs. They aren't a joke. But I can see why a new teacher trying to get the kids on her side might show it... But I think you'd need to wait until they *were* on side before I'd trust them enough to show that...
    But not even a sackable offence; just a warning that it doesn't fit with the Academy's ethos.

I looked at some of the other cases; apparently, in England, friending a pupil on youtube and getting caught smoking a spliff are in the same ballpark. And in these days, if you've even a reprimand on your file, someone else will definitely get the job.

4. Orion

Orion New commenter

Yes as you said the last part is a bit tongue in cheek and could be taken the wrong way. However, in some ways that is an opening to talk about if we should make jokes about the drugs in that way? - discuss!