1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher survey reveals that more staff have lost trust in Ofsted

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Aug 19, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

The inspectorate’s annual survey of teachers reveals that only 18 percent of the 1,007 respondents believe that Ofsted is a reliable arbiter of standards:

‘Less than one in five teachers now regard Ofsted as a trusted or reliable according to the inspectorate’s own survey.

Ofsted’s annual Teacher Attitude Survey published today also reveals there has been a drop in the proportion of teachers who think that school inspection is necessary and important to hold schools to account.

The proportion of teachers who agree that Ofsted is a reliable and trusted arbiter of standards has fallen from 35 per cent last year to just 18 per cent in this year’s survey.’

https://www.tes.com/news/less-one-five-teachers-say-ofsted-reliable

What are your views about the findings of the Teacher Attitude Survey?

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I'm surprised it was ever as high as 35%.
    Was that from a small and select study?

3. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

I agree with Lilac. I doubt I know any teacher with a good word to say for them.

lindenlea and stonerose like this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

How personally lost the vestiges of my trust in Ofsted in 2005 when we were relying on Ofsted to force our managers into doing something to protect us and students from the violent culture in the school, when they came swanning in, stamped us "outstanding" and went swanning off. It was like "pin the til on the donkey" or something, just stick the label anywhere at all, with your eyes tight shut. Within months half the staff had resigned, and two students were in IC with stab wounds.

Since then, Ofsted appears to have gone down hill. I can't imagine where anyone found 18 teachers with faith in them, let alone 18% of any sample

lindenlea, bevdex and stonerose like this.
  5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Studies have shown Ofsted judgements to be random. Everyone knows that

lindenlea likes this.
  6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

As @lilacflower et al have implied, it is a surprise to me to know that any teacher had faith in OFSTED. I would be interested to know from where the 18% came; or was just invented by OFSTED.

I lost any confidence in OFSTED in 1995, when its report praised the school's provision of an A level subject it did not teach

tenpast7, bevdex, stonerose and 4 others like this.
  7. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

I think these figures are either false or the survey was taken in a lunatic asylum.

I do not know of any teacher who thinks OFSTED is reliable.

OFSTED should be dissolved (disbanded or whatever) as soon as possible.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Well no **** Sherlock!

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

An independent survey by YouGov apparently

10. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Actually, I know a few teachers who think Ofsted are a good thing (don't shoot the messenger or argue with me - I don't share their opinion!).... mostly along the lines of 'schools need to be accountable' etc. or, 'Who else would hold schools to account?' - but then, are they themselves products of a system that is accountable/evidence based at every turn? If you can't measure it, it doesn't exist/has no value.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

18%? Must be the NQTs who've not worked out the reality yet.

lindenlea, stonerose and bevdex like this.
  12. --Badger--

--Badger-- Occasional commenter

35%? I'm calling BS on that one.

lindenlea likes this.
  13. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

I don't know why Ofsted ever came into existence at all.
    HMI seemed to do ok before all the Ofsted/ Academies/League Tables and other BS got in to create the sh1te we have today in education.

lindenlea likes this.
  14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Nearly spluttered tea all over the keyboard at this one! Gee whizz!

Lalad likes this.
  15. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Unbelievable - really? And they needed an actual survey to find this out???

16. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

:):)

blazer likes this.
  17. bigwig1

bigwig1 New commenter

When I was teaching full time for two years I was told by one of the SLT that my GCSE results were outstanding, the all the pupils in my classes were more than pleased with the results they got. Then this same person, during the appraisal cycle, observed me according to the OFSTED criteria. The next thing I know I'm graded as unsatisfactory and put on a support plan. My teaching hadn't changed. I was very good at supporting pupils, motivating them, finding their weaknesses and providing useful verbal explanations in class. Within a year the person who graded my unsatisfactory left and became an Ofsted inspector and then the next thing I heard he was a Chief Ofsted Inspector. Ticking boxes limits how pupils can be taught and their needs adapted to. A very lovely teacher of thirty years experience who retired could transfix a class through the way she taught, old fashioned but highly affective. Pupils achieved good results and loved being in her classes but totally out of place in this modern world. The school adopted a university management structure and rigorously stuck to what they thought Ofsted required. The maths department I was in resigned over the next two years and as far as I am aware the results in the department have yet to show any real improvement.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Ofsted arrived on the back of the NC and fr0m the word go I had little faith in them.
    Up to NC and their arrival, I had never had a complaint and I taught some pretty grotty pupils in Primary.
    However, I was deemed wanting after the first inspection and along with a failure to check administrative problem from the person who took over as head(they gave her an outstanding the first time around), I never had faith in then again.

JohnJCazorla likes this.