1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher-Student Relationships (Romantic/Sexual)

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by DontGoChasingWaterfalls, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DontGoChasingWaterfalls

DontGoChasingWaterfalls New commenter

Hey everyone,

I'm not a teacher, but I'm just wondering if any of you can give me any advice for a research project I'm undertaking.

I'm aware that romantic and sexual relationships between a teacher and their student (where the student is under 18) are illegal, but aren't specifically outlawed once the student is 18. I'm also aware that most schools have policies banning any form of teacher-student romantic/sexual relationship. However, what about sixth form colleges that aren't attached to a school? Are they more likely not to have policies against teacher-student relationships?

Thanks for your help! :)

Sienna

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2018
  2. DontGoChasingWaterfalls

Bump, as it took a while for it to be moderated. :)

3. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

Even in a 6th form you’d be likely severely disciplined for it and likely lose your job. My workplace has a Uni-wide policy banning us from any kind of non-professional relationship with students, even though it isn’t against the law it would ruin your academic reputation.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  4. BetterNow

BetterNow Occasional commenter

Good luck with your 'project';)

grumpydogwoman and Rott Weiler like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

CWadd, monicabilongame and wanet like this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

In schools and 6th Form Colleges a romantic or sexual relationship between a teacher and their student over 18 would be considered serious professional misconduct by the teacher and would lead to a disciplinary investigation and probably dismissal.

wanet likes this.
  7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Most colleges and universities have guidelines which state that they strongly discourage such relationships, which is a euphemism for review your position as an employee. A Google search will return a number of these policy pages.

Frankly, the letter of the law matters **** all here, and for very good reasons.

needabreak and wanet like this.
  8. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

It would be considered abuse of a position of trust towards a vulnerable young person. The potential for abuse of power is significant.

In short, whatever euphemisms are used, it will lose you your job every time.

needabreak and Vince_Ulam like this.
  9. DontGoChasingWaterfalls

Thanks for your help everyone! For my Health and Social Care coursework I have to research the role of a further education teacher (predominantly in a sixth form college), and safeguarding issues obviously have a major impact on this role.

I'm interested particularly in romantic/sexual relationships between of-age students and teachers at sixth form, since my best friend married her A Level History teacher.

10. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

"Since my best friend married her A Level History teacher"

I have a suspicion your best friend's case may be the exception to prove the rule. The rule being that a teacher would be off their nut to risk professional suicide and social scorn for getting involved with a student.

11. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

My concern over coursework is not unfounded, what an extraordinary topic... can't think what motivated the HSC teacher to devise that one. I wonder if the theme is common amongst HSC teachers, I can think of a number of other more suitable ones.

Just looking at this spec I wonder which unit you are completing...

http://qualifications.pearson.com/c...446937976_BTEC_Nat_Cert_HSC_AG_Spec_Iss3C.pdf

... since 6th form is education and teachers therein have a duty of care as mentioned above I would imagine it was clear to both the teacher setting the work and students that it is perhaps not the most suitable example.

Nevertheless the teaching of content if related to safeguarding should be a clear indication to you of what others have said here, it's inappropriate and a breach of a position of trust and responsibility.

Perhaps you would care to post the wording of your coursework title if you require any additional help/comments on your dilemma.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

But your best friend married the teacher after she'd LEFT? That is almost certainly the case.

CWadd likes this.
  13. DontGoChasingWaterfalls

I'm actually studying for the A Level in Health and Social Care - the final cohort to do so before it is scrapped in favour of the BTEC variant.

We're researching and comparing job roles within the health and social care sectors. As I have decided to research the role of a further education teacher, I am going to need to talk about safeguarding issues in great detail, using information from as many resources as possible. Hence why I'm here, asking actual teachers.

14. DontGoChasingWaterfalls

Of course. I do believe that, being a humanities subject, teachers can have close relationships with their students, but it was certainly all above board, and nothing sexual actually happened until after she'd finished the course.

15. DontGoChasingWaterfalls

Nothing sexual actually happened until she was no longer in his class. In fact, I remember her telling me that he actually tried to distance himself from her, once he'd realised she had feelings for him, as he developed feelings for her himself, and wanted to mask this.

Thankfully he was wise and professional throughout, but once the student-teacher relationship was over, they wanted to see where life took them. And now they're happily married.

16. TES_Community

TES_Community Administrator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.