1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher standards

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by libby77, Jul 10, 2015.

1. libby77

libby77 Occasional commenter

The letter states there will be a formal disciplinary investigation. I am now no in until Monday where I am supposed to be working my first full week! I have never felt so unsupported and every professional who has seen this list has recognised how ridiculous it is! I would appreciate an support :-(

2. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

1. Go to your union at regional/national level ASAP

2. Have you seen occupational health re your return to work....I know the dr I have seen at OH and also my GP would be disgusted but also supportive to you

Good luck

Bb

3. Jo Shmo

Jo Shmo New commenter

It is highly likely that whatever you've done, or not done, to fail to reach the standards is a result of suffering from anxiety. If it were a physical disability you were suffering from, they'd be bending over backwards to accommodate you, terrified of flouting the Disability Discriminations Act. As it is, it's bullying of the lowest most contemptible sort Get your union involved.

4. Hi - i don't have any advice for you but I have lots of sympathy. I am currently off work due to stress and am not ready to return to work - not sure if i ever will be at the moment.These thoughts occurred to me

1) who said you were fit for work?

2) where did this list originate?

3) is there anything here you disagree with?

4)what specifically have you not met wrt teacher standards? is there evidence? can you think of anything?

I worry and catastrophosize everything, resulting in my being off again, shaking uncontrollably without beta-blockers (this is my second period in 5 years).I too stress in 'supportive meetings' and burst into tears.

I am learning to put everything down on a piece of paper first, practice what i want to say and record everything said and everything I do. You are ill because you care, not because you don't.

Keep your chin up...I am planning an escape route and am holding everything up to the universe in the firm belief that everything will be all right, but I am preparing for the all right to be different to the one i thought i had.

panic attacks are awful but we can get through them

sent with much thought and best wishes

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I don't often post on this forum and don't have time now to write in detai, but I wanted to encourage you to contact your union urgently about this.

This is harassment of the worst kind. If you suffer from anxiety (a MEDICAL condition, not a life-style choice) then that would be reflected in your involuntary body language and is nothing that you can control. To attempt to discipline you for having a medical condition is outrageous.

6. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Also that list of 'teacher standards' reads like a list you'd use on a kid that was little and/or being told off. This needs addressing as it sounds like its counter productive to getting you back teaching via a phased return. That's only my thoughts, contact your union and go see your GP and take both through the list.

7. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I am speechless at their behaviour! Ring your union now. You have done nothing wrong, you are ill and they are making it worse. Go and see your GP or ring The teachers support line. Hugs x

8. libby77

Thank you for the replies. It really has been so stressful and I'm now left for 6 weeks not knowing what I am going back to or whether I'm going back in September? Everything that had happened has been very counter-productive in getting me back. Ultimately I just want to get on with my job. The disciplinary has now been dropped. It caused alot of damage though and meant I felt unsafe and unwell going back into school to complete the last week with my lovely class. The union is already involved. They are now off for 6 weeks though! I've been moved to someone else for the summer.

What I am finding really difficult to understand is that every professional I have shown this list to (GP, counsellor, HR in my summer job, ACAS) has been quite shocked by it. I don't understand why the head can't see it???

9. libby77

Thank you GLsghost. I don't actually know what the accusations were for this disciplinary but it is based on the list??? It's now been dropped but so much damage has been done. It has certainly brought on panic attacks once again (which were diminishing) and just a sense of insecurity at school. I also feel my confidentially has been severely breached. It's such a mess. I just want to be the great teacher the school knows I am :-( (last observation - outstanding).

10. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Digusting, I have balance problems, and pain that causes me to wince/jerk my arms/legs. I would be laughing all the way to the bank and my employers crying all the way to court if they tried to discipline me for losing my balance, or jerking a limb! For goodness sake, they are seriously incompetent as well as nasty people.

Any chance of redress as they have dropped the complaint because they were obviously in the wrong? xx

11. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Hi Libby77

This is absolutely dreadful. Go and see your GP NOW! Anxiety is a medical condition and can be treated. There is no way you should have been dictated to in the manner you describe. A doctor's note is basically a legal document that your managers will have to take notice of and will afford you protection.

Please, please, see your GP. And speak to your union (join if not a member!!) But first, see you GP!

12. sopsychedout

sopsychedout New commenter

I agree with everyone else! The way that you have been treated is disgraceful! The Head sounds to me like someone who is ignorant of both mental health issues, the duty of care act and equality act! This head does not deserve to have an outstanding teacher like you working at his/her school. In the long-term, I would recommend taking your services to a school who would value your skills and treat you with more respect! In the short-term, I echo what other posters have already said.

Good luck and hope that you feel better soon!

13. sopsychedout

sopsychedout New commenter

PS. After re reading your post, it occurred to me that you have already achieved all this if you have been graded as outstanding in observations, so the fools who drew up this list are contradicting themselves!

14. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I was wondering along those lines, too.

If the OP's mental health condition meets the criteria to be deemed a disability under EA 2010, then to discipline her for having it is direct discrimination. Ker-ching!

As you rightly observe, dominant_tonic, it's analogous to disciplining someone for failing to stop an involuntary muscle movement or for using a wheelchair!