1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher Slavery in Kuwait

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by whitenite, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Dear TES all names have been deleted so there in no need to delete this thread.

The original thread was posted Sunday 24 March and deleted very quickly because it named ?Names?, I have deleted the names to protect the GUILTY. So this is the standard of treatment in Q8 if you seek legal action against unscrupulous owners and SMT.

The poor teacher involved in this, is now held a prisoner until the owners decided to let him go. He could be there all summer long.

As a Professional Person can you tolerate such behavior from a School, there is no justification to the treatment of this unfortunate individual. The next step is a public flogging!

Just remember that Slavery was ABOLISHED in Britain 200 years ago, but its conditions still exist in Kuwait!

Quote ?

XXXX in Kuwait as we all know has a very colourful reputation with scandal regarding contracts and upset with staff. It appears when NEW staff are initially offered the contract with the school to sign, like I was, you are not allowed to seek legal advice regarding the contract. Mrs. X will not allow teachers to take the contract out of her office.

Kuwait law says that a person can leave the work place without reason with a period of 100 days, but XXXX has a clause in the contract that says if you leave you must pay KD600 even if it is with in the 100 days.

Late in 2004 I started to work at XXXX and after 45 days Mrs. X remained to refuse to pay my salary. Clearly I felt that my services were not wanted and I left. I made a visit to the Department of Education and explained to them the circumstances and that I could no longer afford to remain in employment that did not pay and that cut off my electricity to my apartment for three days.

I sued XXXX through the help of a lawyer here in Kuwait. I am pleased to say that I won my case a sum of KD 600 in unpaid wages. Mr. X also won his case, now my lawyer is putting the two cases together to settle the situation. In the meantime he has placed a travel ban on me so I am unable to travel.

Teachers and fellow professionals be careful who you enter into a contract with, as teachers we are sharing people whom share our experiences, knowledge, thoughts and we are educators.

If I had my time again, I would have never entered into a contract with this school if I had been made aware of some of the difficulties that overseas teachers were experiencing. I am not the first and I know that I will certainly not be the last. So fellow colleagues be careful and cautious, you really do not need an employer like this one. The headache is really not worth it.

Un Quote ?

You have been WARNED, just Boycott Kuwait.

LONE BRAVE TEACHER WE WISH YOU WELL IN YOUR FIGHT YOU ARE NOT ALONE

2. Dear TES all names have been deleted so there in no need to delete this thread.

The original thread was posted Sunday 24 March and deleted very quickly because it named ?Names?, I have deleted the names to protect the GUILTY. So this is the standard of treatment in Q8 if you seek legal action against unscrupulous owners and SMT.

The poor teacher involved in this, is now held a prisoner until the owners decided to let him go. He could be there all summer long.

As a Professional Person can you tolerate such behavior from a School, there is no justification to the treatment of this unfortunate individual. The next step is a public flogging!

Just remember that Slavery was ABOLISHED in Britain 200 years ago, but its conditions still exist in Kuwait!

Quote ?

XXXX in Kuwait as we all know has a very colourful reputation with scandal regarding contracts and upset with staff. It appears when NEW staff are initially offered the contract with the school to sign, like I was, you are not allowed to seek legal advice regarding the contract. Mrs. X will not allow teachers to take the contract out of her office.

Kuwait law says that a person can leave the work place without reason with a period of 100 days, but XXXX has a clause in the contract that says if you leave you must pay KD600 even if it is with in the 100 days.

Late in 2004 I started to work at XXXX and after 45 days Mrs. X remained to refuse to pay my salary. Clearly I felt that my services were not wanted and I left. I made a visit to the Department of Education and explained to them the circumstances and that I could no longer afford to remain in employment that did not pay and that cut off my electricity to my apartment for three days.

I sued XXXX through the help of a lawyer here in Kuwait. I am pleased to say that I won my case a sum of KD 600 in unpaid wages. Mr. X also won his case, now my lawyer is putting the two cases together to settle the situation. In the meantime he has placed a travel ban on me so I am unable to travel.

Teachers and fellow professionals be careful who you enter into a contract with, as teachers we are sharing people whom share our experiences, knowledge, thoughts and we are educators.

If I had my time again, I would have never entered into a contract with this school if I had been made aware of some of the difficulties that overseas teachers were experiencing. I am not the first and I know that I will certainly not be the last. So fellow colleagues be careful and cautious, you really do not need an employer like this one. The headache is really not worth it.

Un Quote ?

You have been WARNED, just Boycott Kuwait.

LONE BRAVE TEACHER WE WISH YOU WELL IN YOUR FIGHT YOU ARE NOT ALONE

3. Keep it going!!! xx

4. Give up whitenite! Most days I check info on this website to gain info about working overseas. I think we all get the picture loud and clear that you did not have a good experience in Kuwait! If anyone wants to work in Kuwait THEY WILL SEE YOUR PREVIOUS THREADS.I understand that you want to advise teachers no to go to there but pls I am sick may I repeat SICK of seeing these threads posted by you. Does anyone agree!?

5. ^ no I disagree with you whole heartedly. People need to know the truth and these posts by whitenite should be kept prominent.

6. It is the "truth" as seen by whitenite.

There are plenty of others who have a different point of view

7. Sandman

Sandman New commenter

Think he is trying to warn any teachers,maybe you are just looking to get the thread deleted?

8. Why can't we all play nicely ?!

9. Yes, as i've said before he is a bigot! Not someone worth listening to.

Eviloops, i know you have had massive issues with your school in Qatar but you are not an expert on the Middle East. I'm sorry to hear about your problems at your place but don't just jump on Whitenite's bandwagon. Whitenite's arguments are racist. There are some decent schools in Kuwait and some decent people here. Have you worked in Kuwait too? And did you have the same experience in Kuwait? I know it is important to name and shame certain schools but Whitenite is doing so about the whole country.

10. Talking of 'English' schools in Kuwait, does the GULF and the NEW qualify as decent?

11. Pennyless, not sure about the first but know it has recently moved to busy area. I don't know anyone there. The latter is one of the bigger schools. Some say overcrowded. Know a couple of people there who are quite happy though.

12. whitenite, you have my wholehearted support. I have met too many teachers on the international circuit who have the attitude that so long as bad things aren't happening to them then they don't care about anyone else. They are happy to work in schools that quite simply would not be allowed to operate within the UK, and for jolly good reasons. Admittedly, certain aspects or working within the UK I find not to my liking, particularly over prescription, however, other things I would say are sacrosanct, such as professional etiqutte, rule of law, conditions of contract etc. Obviously anniewhizz and kuwaiti see nothing wrong in the conducts of their schools and SMT's, even when it comes, apparently, to employers restricting the movement of individuals. I use the word 'apparently', although I doubt very much whitenite is lying, because I've seen it done personally myself. It is a despicable thing to do to someone, but hey anniewhzz and kuwaiti, it's OK as long as it's not done to you. Whitenite, I am most certainly not sick of your warnings. However, I am sick of unsupportive teachers whose only aim is to keep themselves employed in schools that both whitenite and myself wouldn't wish to work in. Quite simply, cerain things are WRONG WRONG WRONG, regardless of who it is happening too.

13. OMG Clovis....I have never ever appreciated anything more than what you have just posted. You have sumed it up in a nut-shell really.

I am by no means in favour of bullying or misleading people to believe that what I am saying is law about the particular academy I worked at - I simply aim to inform potential "inexperienced or concerned" future teachers of this disgrace of a school (bearing in mind I am young and really sought honest advice about what I was letting myself in for a year ago). I am merely thinking of those teachers who are in my position that I was in this time last year.

I sought advice about the academy, was told exactly what I am telling ppl myself now- avoid it like the plague! I chose to ignore this information as I only thought of the positive side of intern'l teaching (naive I know!!! hindsight!!!!) It is up to individuals to make up their own mind, but if I can plant a seed for thought then I damn well am going to give it a go and hopefully deter staff from teaching at the horrible horrible academy.

Each to their own....I appreciate opinions differ as we all experience things differently - mind was bad and I dread to think that someone (like myself), who has worked soooo hard, ploughed and plugged at bettering themself, ends up being conned,mislead and lied to like I was. yeah, the academy might be some ppls cup of tea, it certainly wasnt mine! The SMT wouldnt last a sec in a British school, thats probably half the prob - our standards are too high!!!
    Keep it going White nite XX

14. Eviloops...I thinks I may have applied for a job at the Academy you are talking about. Is there any way you can be more specific? Thanks

15. Whitenite,
    Your contributions will go down in history as a salvation message for the International teacher.

These criminal minded people should be exposed and if possible efforts should be made so that they do not corrupt the education system in Britain. Simply they should not be allowed to teach in Britain again.

Keep up the good work.

16. To clovis
    You obviously did not read what I have to say!!! Let me expand. Yes of course whitenite should have his say and warn people about what happened to him in his school. It is useful for anyone going to a particular country to read the bad and the good. However it seems to be a new topic every few days damning kuwait. He has put his point over very clearly. If anyone truly wants to research about a country.....which we all would do.....they will see his previous threads. Anyway drone on if you must! I actually have no intention working in Kuwait but I just was curious due to the many threads whitenite was posting!!!!

17. There are always 2 sides to the story. However, teaching is to help develop young minds and not to chase tuition. Kuwait is a country where money is the main motive for the education establishments. So if you want to sell your souls then Kuwait is the contry for you. White nite is doing a good job highlighting the problems in the country.

18. Would you be happy for whitenite to teach your kids? I certainly wouldn't want him near mine, thanks!Unlike you, i cannot condone white supremacy.

19. I'm not sure to whom you are responding to there kuwaitteacher. For my part,I do not know whitenite enough to possibly answer your question, however, he has certainly said nothing on this forum that would make me question him as a teacher, or more importantly, as a person of principle. If you are indeed responding to me, I struggle to work out how I have condoned 'white supremacy'.