1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher shortage.....when will they take note of what teachers are saying?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by silkywave, Feb 21, 2017.

1. silkywave

silkywave Established commenter

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

When will they take note?

Let me think.....

giphy.gif

JL48, Anonymity, Mrs_Hamilton and 6 others like this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

They won't but another lot might... but which other lot; hmm let me think. Either way it will take time and the reformation of potential opposition parties with a few votes for them to boot.

thistledoo and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I work in an over-subscribed school that is top-three league table in a posh suburb. Can they attract staff? They sure can. Can they keep them longer than two or three years? They cannot.

But when they leave, they don't say "You ran me into the ground trying to make yourself and the school look good via impossible demands for "evidence" and data." They don't say "Being middle-class doesn't magically endow these kids with brains and a desire to work but somehow it's my fault that they aren't all overachieving geniuses." They don't say "You made me feel as if nothing I did was ever good enough."

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The prison officers got an extra £3K... just saying.

Laphroig and ssaleh21 like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

But only the ones in the SE @lanokia

And only because the teachers let them down. If we'd worked harder there wouldn't be any crime. They'd all be earning megabucks in the City! Course they would.

The criminals. We let the crime down. Didn't motivate them. Didn't equip them with the skills, you see.

7. red_observer

red_observer Lead commenter

The biggest problem in teaching? Too many unions... let's have one voice!

8. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Put the pension back down to 60 and reinstate national pay and conditions and watch a steam roller of teachers trundle back into the profession. Got to be cheaper than £1.3b per year.

9. Apple101

Apple101 Occasional commenter

This is it. If we cared about money we wouldn't be teaching let's face it. The pay is semi decent but most could do better.

Half the stuff we have to do is pointless. We just want to teach the kids, we don't give a damn about league tables or data monkey work. We are not barking seals.

10. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

Perhaps you didn't. Not much gets taught in the way of vocational skills.

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

"The Department for Education said there were currently record levels of teachers.

A spokesman said: "We recognise there are challenges."

But, he said, the department had spent £1.3bn on a recruitment campaign. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39028840

Translation - we know it's still a turd, but we have bought a great big bag of glitter to roll it in.

Teaching has to be one the jobs where everyone has a very good idea about what it entails. It's not like MI5 recruiting a while ago where people might be not aware of who they want or even that you can apply for a job. But all they've done is spend the equivalent of 34,760 years worth of teacher salaries on adverts.*

(*£37,400 pa taken from here https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/funding-and-salary/teacher-salaries )

[​IMG]

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I used to just teach the kids- aeons ago. Yes, I planned, yes I assessed, yes I knew where they were, what they needed to do to move on and how to do it.

BUT, there was no Ofsted, there were no unrealistic and unattainable targets, there was room for fun and enjoyment in the curriculum. And guess what. They went into the world literate and numerate (generally) they got jobs, they made their way.

13. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

When will they listen to us? They won't. They have made it abundantly clear (and by 'they' I mean education secretaries of all parties) they have no interest in what we have to say.

Evidence Exhibit A: they did a survey into workload and some of the main items were pointless paperwork 'for Ofsted', data analysis, 'deep' marking, and non-stop changes. Have any of these things really been addressed? No. Some statements have been made by Ofsted about myths about marking and yet we all know of schools whose marking was commented on verbally and in the report. Have they stopped the endless tinkering which has the knock-on effect of making us change what we do? No. So they're clearly not listening.

Evidence Exhibit B: when someone points out that we need more teachers and we have lots who have qualified but who have left to do something else, they make a ridiculous statement about the ENORMOUS amount of money they've spent on recruitment. Not retention but recruitment. Even I - mathematical idiot that I am - can spot that you could recruit a million teachers a year but if more leave than we need in classrooms, it still doesn't work. So they're not listening there either.

Evidence Exhibit C: have they addressed the way we're seen by the general public thanks to the right wing press? No. They call us names instead and still refer to our lovely holidays and gold plated pension even though most of us will be toddling through our late 60s and early 70s into a retirement which probably won't ever happen.

Evidence Exhibit D: 1% pay rise for best part of a decade.

Evidence Exhibit E: erosion of pay and conditions with the introduction of the academy system and its subsequent blanket application across all schools which essentially says loud and clear "WE DON'T CARE IF YOU'VE WORKED AS A TEACHER FOR 20 YEARS - WE WANT A SYSTEM THAT ALLOWS SCHOOLS TO PAY YOU PEANUTS".

Evidence Exhibit F: their insistence that good teachers don't need to be qualified. This also says they have no respect for us as a profession.

And more. Except I'm off to cook some dinner that my children will refuse to eat.

Mrsmumbles, MrMedia, Laphroig and 8 others like this.
  14. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

Lower the pension age and the trundle is out rather than in.
    The 1.3bn is over 5 years. Pension cost is 7. 5 bn a year, so probably not cheaper.

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Oh and they won't take notice of what teachers are saying because the profession is so massively devalued and it won't be until the entire system dissolves that there will be a realisation that we are in trouble.

thistledoo and InkyP like this.
  16. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I assume that is the total pension cost? So an unfair comparison.

17. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Workload, data and constant lesson obs/learning walks b;ah blah blah.
    Just let us get on with the job, accept every child matters doesn't mean every child will get A* (9) and stick your MDYIS, YELIS data this/data that where the sun don't shine.

Anonymity, moose2, minnie me and 3 others like this.
  18. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Currently they are spending a fortune training and importing huge numbers of teachers into the system. If you left teaching for a commercial career you might be inclined to return for an earlier pension, pay into the pension and generally improve the teaching profession on account you were probably a very experienced teacher. I would like to point out that we had this pension until it was stolen from us by those who would rather give tax breaks to huge multinational companies who avoided more tax than our pensions cost.

19. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

BBC Breakfast had this as a topic this morning with a young headmaster from a Manchester school. I switched off after he said that education is in a far better place today than it used to be. The presenters were trying to ask him about workload and targets and trying to suggest that this might be the reason for fewer teachers going into the profession. They even read out a few viewers opinions, one from a teacher who said he had dissuaded his children from following in his footsteps.
    He also said that he was going into school today at half term and so were many of his staff. He was obviously pushing the fact that teachers work hard and school holidays area misnomer.
    This comment didn't make up for his views on the current state of affairs in education for me.

Disgusted.

minnie me and BelleDuJour like this.
  20. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

What he meant to say was that "education is in a far better place today than it used to be for him"

Which of course it will be since he is on a higher salary and doesn't have deal with bottom set year 9 on a hot sunny Friday afternoon.