1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher shortage, what teacher shortage? Government score own goal.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by katykook, Mar 30, 2016.

1. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Exactly the same problem with nursing staff, only probably more so.

install likes this.
  3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

You couldn't make this up could you? However I have no doubts that the minister responsible for this will argue that £35,000 is achievable.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I suppose you could have 'working towards' 35k?

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

But teachers earn 65k! I know this... I saw an advert...

But seriously... another example of a lack of joined up government thinking, knee-jerkism and pandering to the anti-immigrant brigade.

6. Skeptical_John

Skeptical_John New commenter

I was looking at the list of exceptions. It included video game designers! That vital role in society....

They did have an exception for maths & physics teachers but that was it.

7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Does that mean primary teachers will be exempt? After all, they teach maths every day - and physics through science.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I thought nurses weren't affected by this legislation.

It is a bit of an own goal though.

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Class activity:

Put the following words into an order which accurately describes government competence.

Clue a got haven't

delnon, blueskies31 and katykook like this.
  10. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

Why is the cut off £35,000? Is this the income they've decided is needed to run a household? If so many households fall short of this with two people working.

11. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

In this brave new world, doesn't EVERY teacher have to show s/he's teaching Maths on her lesson plan?

12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

It's probably what Cameron and Osbo pay their butlers.

delnon, emerald52 and katykook like this.
  13. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

look on the bright side. If the government creates an even bigger recruitment crisis, those of us qualified and resident might just become more valuable and the pay might go up. Porcine flying machines ready.

delnon and katykook like this.
  14. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I agree but you won't get a rise sitting in your current post. Start applying for better paying jobs in the academy staff hunting free for all. Even the suggestion that you're looking elsewhere may get you extra pay if your school want to keep you but don't mention it to your colleagues.

15. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

You beat me to it :)

16. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

That wasn't an advert. It was a fairytale!

delnon, Shedman and chelsea2 like this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There is no shortage of teachers. The fact that we recieve no applicants for any teaching post we have available (even temporary positions) is a figment of the imagination.

---and of course the fact you needed a wheelbarrow to transport the Easter job sections of the TES home this year.

delnon, Shedman, wanet and 1 other person like this.
  18. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

There probably isn't a shortage of teachers - there's a shortage of people with teaching qualifications who currently want to teach, or are prepared to take a teaching job which pays them less than they have earned before.

19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

And in that fairy tale the well-resourced, well maintained schools were full of happy, unstressed teachers who welcomed OFSTED because their expertise and helpfulness really improved the school an boosted morale! Triple marking was banned along with pointless meetings and all the paperwork that would never be read.

delnon and Landofla like this.