1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher shortage is getting worse, according to MPs

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MacGuyver, Feb 21, 2017.

1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I remember being introduced to some of George Orwell's novels (Animal Farm, 1984, Down and Out in Paris and London) by my parents, and had read and discussed them with my parents by my mid-teens.

I kind of assumed that many families did that pre-tech revolution. How come?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Mrsmumbles and Landofla like this.
  2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

@JL48 because I'm young.

My mother has often harped on about Animal Farm - she had to read it at school. One day, when I see it in a charity shop or library sale, I will buy it and read it.

3. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Not all schools are that bad. There's still some good ones out there.

4. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

The English teachers at my old school still teach it at KS4 to all the students. I remember it becoming a hoo ha as one of them moved to a school in China which taught some government official's kids and half way through the book he realised what he had done . . .

You should! Also try 1984 and Down and Out. Both good reads!

Mrsmumbles and les25paul like this.
  5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I like a good war story so I enjoyed Orwell's Homage to Catalonia.

JL48 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  6. blowswind

blowswind Occasional commenter

I wouldn't describe 1984 as a good read. It's less of a story, more of a statement.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. Landofla

@JL48 oh wow. Well it wasn't on the syllabus at my school. I didn't do A Level English Lit so maybe those students did.

As corny as it sounds, the best thing I read these days is found within the piles of English marking.

8. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

OMG I cannot believe you've not read Orwell and are a teacher! My entire world vision is fuelled by 'Animal Farm', it's so TRUE. Listen to your Ma, go and read it tomorrow. There's an awesome animated cartoon where my avatar is from, and it was actually English animators funded by the American CIA. They were anti commie, you see. Still a good film and a superb book.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  9. Mrsmumbles

Every teacher should read it. If I had my own teaching union, it would be standard issue. You'd get lots of discounts and deals if you could quite any of the Seven Commandments. Orwell was a total genius.

JL48 likes this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

Yes, I love both. Frankly, I think Britain is now even worse than the 'tea and two slices' culture Orwell portrays. Food banks and benefit sanctions. Haven't we progressed well.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

Tell me where! Give me a county!

12. Landofla

@Mrsmumbles lots of people feel that strongly about The Bible.

13. blowswind

blowswind Occasional commenter

He was far sighted with many ideas. However I don't find him inspirational and I wouldn't inflict his work on others.

14. Mrsmumbles

Yep! I think 'Animal Farm' IS my Bible! When I first read it, it was such a revelation. It's all laid out so clearly and powerfully. Few writers can achieve this. I'm aware this may sound preachy, but frankly, more teachers today SHOULD be reading Orwell. Britain, the US, and much of Europe is terrifyingly similar now to 1930s Europe. Gove was a born 'Squealer', and Trump is so like Napoleon it is scary. Maybe just read the book in full and make up your own mind. Talented commentators today such as Brooker and Hislop all echo Orwell's concerns.

Landofla likes this.
  15. Mrsmumbles

Animal Farm has a tighter structure, for sure, but 1984 triggered off so many new ideas and cultural influences,

16. johnberyl

johnberyl Occasional commenter

If ever there was a present day metaphor for 1984's Doublespeak, it would be the Department of Education's pronouncements.

Mrsmumbles and dleaf12 like this.
  17. johnberyl

18. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

OMG YES!

But not just the DfE..

"Capability"
    "Support Plan"
    "Informal"
    "Performance Management"

les25paul and Mrsmumbles like this.
  19. johnberyl

In my last years as a teacher, many's the time I've thought of Boxer and wondered whether 'I will work harder,' was in effect my refrain as the glue factory van awaited.

les25paul and Mrsmumbles like this.
  20. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Animal Farm is not an A level book. More Year 9 / KS4.
    A little harsh.
    A sad indictment of our education system.

Mrsmumbles likes this.