1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher shortage is getting worse, according to MPs

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MacGuyver, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

@PeterQuint staff would lie on those questionnaires. Have you seen the thread about the culture of fear in schools?

Also, opinions differ. One single person with no kids, possibly NQT, might be more accepting of workload compared to a married person with three kids on MP6.

galerider123 and Compassman like this.
  2. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Here is a thought.

Unions are not trying to motivate members to work to rule. The Labour party are saying nothing about the workload issues. There is no appetite amongst existing teachers to take any action which can improve working conditions for teachers.
    How bad will things have to be to motivate teachers to take action?

SMT will continue to add to the workload. 1% rises will become the norm. Using Capability as a method of controlling teachers who do not toe the line will continue. Students will continue to be placed on courses for no educational reason. Victimisation of experienced expensive teachers will continue. Academies will increase the amount of teaching done by unqualified staff. MATs will eventually introduce zero hours contracts for MAT teachers.

What will be the straw which breaks the camels back?

I believe that eventually there will be a reaction which will result in industrial action and action will be taken by the government of the day to go back to an education system which is primarily concerned with educating students. The job of teacher has become a bad job. No-one wants to do a bad job for bad pay. It is not rocket science.

3. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

It really is beyond belief that the vast majority of teacher have been complicit in what has happened to them. The main reason though is Fear.

The reason is that not a single teacher I know is able to do everything that is required of them. They may not get all their books marked in time / they may not get that SoW in on time / their reports might be late etc. They know that any HT wanting to have a go (capability) will do so. How bad is that?

4. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

And when you are on Capability (or on a support plan) you HAVE to do ALL work they ask of you or you prove to them that you are not up to the job.

:mad:

5. Compassman

Exactly. A bully's charter to try someone out of their job.

6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I phoned Capita in Brum, and they said it was 'very quiet' with little call for secondary teachers.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  7. drvs

drvs Star commenter

8. Landofla

@Jolly_Roger1 I've never actually met a supply teacher from that agency! Probably not one of the more popular choices in Brum.

9. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Staff surveys are anonymous.

10. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I work it out to be closer to 46 hours, if you take our holidays into account.
    Non teacher = 28 days + 7 public holidays = 35 days or 7 weeks. 52-7= 45 working weeks
    Teacher = 13 weeks (6 weeks more per year). 52-13=39 weeks.
    40 hours x 45 weeks = 1800 hours per year
    1800 hours / 39 teaching weeks = 46.15.
    That doesn't take into account any work done over holidays, or that teachers pay is supposed to already take into account the extra holidays.

dleaf12 likes this.
  11. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Ummmmm..... not always... We were given a staff survey sheet during our 'mock Ofsted', and asked to fill it in, put it in the envelope and hand it in to a member of the office staff - hardly anonymous! We weren't confident that envelopes returned this way weren't being marked in some way, or given immediately to the 'inspector' - a good friend of the HT - along with our names, so we were reluctant to tell it as it was...

There are other ways to quietly track whose survey responses are whose, if it's done on paper, even without handwriting issue - each copy of the survey can have one small unnoticeable difference (such as an extra space between words or word placement on the next line) each in a different place. Give out the surveys in named envelopes, keeping track of which you gave to whom, and when they roll back in, you know whose response it is.

I don't trust anonymity - schools are not places to speak out in today - and I wouldn't risk upsetting the SLT and making myself a target. I

12. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

13. Mrsmumbles

Allegedly. We shall look upon his like again. Greening is inept.no memorable speeches, nada. Gove blares his poison through worldwide media. He always doing it. Why can't Alan Bennett or someone write a mocking piece about the goon?

14. Mrsmumbles

@Landofla. Can I ask what kind of cat is in your avatar? It's unusual! Walrus-like...

15. Mrsmumbles

Michaela?

16. Landofla

@Mrsmumbles the cat is from the same place as the ant eater in your avatar.

17. Landofla

@PeterQuint even if the were done online, staff would still lie. I can imagine SLT coming back saying, someone said x, y and z. They would find out who and their life would be hell for it.

18. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Same here

They should leave a box in the staff room

Compassman likes this.
  19. Compassman

Oh absolutely.

I remember typing mine up. However, many staff were too fearful to be negative for the reasons you outline above. When staff are threatened for criticising the management it is very understandable. Such is the nature of management in schools these days.

I also think the Ofsted survey is worded in such a way as it is very difficult to be critical.

Landofla likes this.
  20. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

We "helpfully" collected all the science dept AND Maths dept AND Art dept responses into the one envelope before handing them back in (Well shuffled of course...) (All three depts are at one end of a long site, SLT & offices at the other).

galerider123 and palmtree100 like this.