1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher shortage is getting worse, according to MPs

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MacGuyver, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Nope they need to work to rule (Action Short of Strike Action) and they need to follow it to the letter. The beauty of this is that the kids get educated (possibly better than before due to less stress) but all the pointless paperwork, initiatives etc don't.

I notice that a few workplaces are waking up to this in recent times. Hope there's more.

lanokia, Mrsmumbles and bajan like this.
  2. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Yup.

lanokia likes this.
  3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It needs school leaders to solve recruitment issues by taking bold decsisions such as:

A total ban on all physical and electronic working outside of the hours of 8-5.30pm and a commitment to logistically organise the delivery of education within those constraints.

Only if it can be shown to solve the recruitment and retention issue will school leaders follow a reduced workload policy.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

They'd have to have a lot of gumption to do that. As they would be likely that they would be seen as not doing what they need to do in terms of intervention if their grades were not up to the desired level of progress and they could then kiss their livelihoods goodbye.

The only ones who could perhaps afford to do so are those who are financially secure by other means or who have paid off their mortgage and have good pension awaiting them, since they would be a sitting target thereafter.

Can't really see it myself can you?

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  5. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Are you really me? Because I could have written that almost word-for-word.

The only way I'd differ is your idea that it'd take 6 months. If clear instruction went out to every HT and MAT CEO from the government & Ofsted you'd see new policies written by the end of the week.

6. PeterQuint

That's a non-starter, I'm afraid.

You'll find a similar clause in almost every job discription in the UK, it's not just education.

7. PeterQuint

Ofsted's job is to do as it's told, and Spielman will have been told this before she agreed to take the job, after the trouble the government had with Wilsher.

Ofsted and the DfE have made statements in unison before about workload, so it's nothing new.

It's quite simple. Ofsted are required to pass judgement - with a 1-4 grade - on leadership & managenent. It's certain aspects of leadership & management which have been largely responsible for the increase in workload, which in turn has brought about a shortage crisis.

The government has had to spend billions on advertising campaigns to stem the crisis. They haven't worked. A quick phone call to Ofsted is free.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

A fully staffed school containing excellent teachers can deliver the same results on 8-5.30 what a poorly staffed school with lots of churn on 60 hour weeks.

9. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

We report directly to Parliament and we are independent and impartial.
    This is on the 'about Ofsted' page so we have a dilemma as I indicated in my post 35. Any respecting person running Ofsted would have to resign if the government told Ofsted to award RI for management which brought about excessive workload. It would destroy Ofsted but then again maybe that's what the government want - save them about 160 odd million a year.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  10. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

"He" ?

11. PeterQuint

No, that's not how it works.

Wilsher wasn't big on the Ebacc, but Ofsted still use it.

Do you really believe that all the things Ofsted report on are decided by Ofsted, with no input from government?

Really?

12. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Really?
    What do you know that nobody else knows?
    What we do know is that the education select committee is not happy with the DFE and we know that the national audit office is not happy with DFE. Ofsted say that they are independent of the government.
    I do not support either, I was merely playing devil advocate and suggesting why the different strategies that could be used by the DFE would not be used.
    That is they will do nothing.

13. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I beg your pardon: 'she'.

14. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I have to disagree. I worked outside of education for over twenty years prior to gaining QTS, I've never had a similar 'clause' in any of my job descriptions. Actually, I tell a lie - there was a similar clause in my NHS contract of employment (along the lines of 'and other ad hoc tasks to promote the efficient running of the department'). Funny that.

Anonymity likes this.
  15. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

ASOSA does not work.

At least it does not in any of the "caring" professions. In those professions workers are prone to "just this once for little Sally" etc.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Mrsmumbles likes this.
  16. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

The problem with ASOSA is that you COULD be setting yourself up as a target.
    If few or none of your colleagues follow this action then you WILL be setting yourself up as a target.

Anonymity and Mrsmumbles like this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

This is the problem. Also why I despise politicians. Just because they went, once, to school, they all seem to feel they know all there is to know about schools and teaching. Like heck. I realise now that, during the recession, there must have been a number of government and DFE meetings where they planned all this up: the capability, fast track dismissal, encouraging staff to leave, encouraging privatisation and corporate tactics in schools which are meant to deliver as charities or public services, culling pension payouts and UPS salaries, and devising numerous ways to make teaching far too onerous. Interventions is a classic example of this. Some kids hate school. Despite several chances to catch up, they either won't or can't. WHY should teachers be doing it all 'for the children' whilst schools simultaneously blather on about student resilience? The spin cretins in the office reallly do need to talk to each other! Saying that academic underperformance is always a teacher's fault and linking this to pay progression or even capability is vile. Probably legal now, but morally, it's vile. Does anyone know when interventions started being branded as such? My bet it its around 2008.

18. Mrsmumbles

Hmmm...so NHS and MAT managers COULD have both attended my nightmare meeting scenario....

19. Mrsmumbles

And also I bet the DFE do pressurise OFSTED minions to do certain things. They all have their budgets and there's an awful lot of restaurants in London to wine and dine people in...

20. Mrsmumbles

Gove made it crystal clear in 2013 that any Heads who tried to do their jobs properly and actually support their staff during imposed 'support' plans would be forced out.