1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher shortage is getting worse, according to MPs

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MacGuyver, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

The statement is "a teacher must work such reasonable additional hours as may be necessary to enable the effective discharge of the teacher’s professional duties, including in particular planning and preparing courses and lessons; and assessing, monitoring, recording and reporting on the learning needs, progress and achievements of assigned pupils."

Over 40 hours is not reasonable.

lanokia, Anonymity and needabreak like this.
  2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

@sabram86 well said!

I for one do not blame the Government. I blame Headteachers and SLT. They are the ones who can lessen the workload burden but how many do? I posted a thread asking for them to share their good work and it hasn't received much response. THEY are doing too little, not the Gov.

@Jolly_Roger1 would love to know which agency told you that. I have to side with @blazer

Anonymity likes this.
  3. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

I agree Compassman, I mean if we get rid of the statement, we might have the opportunity to discuss what is needed. You are so right, we should be working under 40 hours! I have no idea how they will do it and I don't really care they just need to do it.

But lets be realistic, until it costs them more money than they are saving by making us do it or OFSTED jump in, we are stuck in this ****.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. Compassman

Plenty of HTs are quite willing to push excessive workload because they want to showboat to the likes of Ofsted.

5. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

. This is why OFSTED need to start challenging schools to the benefit of the workload.

Not often that I big up OFSTED, I must be losing my mind.

lanokia and Landofla like this.
  6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@Compassman - what you've quoted is from STPCD 2016. I'm referring to our job descriptions that form part of our employment contracts, usually written by the LA/academy/governing body. Mine says 'and any other duties requested by the Head teacher'.

lanokia and BarryIsland like this.
  7. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

8. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Oh blimey, Donkey's lips look like Gove's...

drvs likes this.
  9. Compassman

Fair comment.

10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I thought their remit was to monitor results and quality standards not campaign for teacher workload reform. Am I wrong? If not, I won't hold my breath.

BarryIsland likes this.
  11. Compassman

But if teachers are overworked then it will (does) have an effect on standards.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    lanokia likes this.
  12. needabreak

As I understand it, the latter is the case, we could do a poll. Perhaps we should all be buying shares in the Supply agencies then we could all dump them simultaneously when the prices rise and sit back and laugh. Damn shame they aren't PLC's. I wonder what their LTD ownership profiles are like and how many have interrelated/incestuous links/trading arms like TF and tutor faire appeared to have some time ago.

13. needabreak

Indeed, do you think that OFSTED looks at workload?

14. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

It's not going to happen. When the government gets into this situation it does nothing because the change to contracts could only be made by the employer. They would have to formally become the employer and nationalise all schools.
    I was watching the news on civil partnerships for heterosexuals and the mess this has become because the government had not thought through what this meant just like academies.

Mrsmumbles and needabreak like this.
  15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Agencies came about long before acadamisation. The LEAs decided that maintaining a pool of supply teachers, some of whom may not be needed in any particular week and so would be sent as supernumeraries to schools meant they were paying a few teachers not to teach. So they dropped the idea and agencies came about.

wanet likes this.
  16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Or someone who has been in the system for a long time, has a good reputation, proven track record and can provide glowing references?

BarryIsland likes this.
  17. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Thank you, @blazer. When I originally read @schoolsout4summer 's reply, I though he meant the consultant in Brum to whom I had spoken.

18. needabreak

Oh I read that as workload did you edit? If so I agree although I can't see them making the connections all the while placing their heads on the block, after all we don't complete their questionnaires accurately for fear of repercussions do we?

19. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

If teachers want workload to fall, then they have to go on strike. Not a one-day strike, but either a rolling strike, say one day a week at short notice, or just a full-on strike until the SLT-pips squeak.

There is no point being reasonable. SLTs and MATs know what they are doing. Without this action, things will just get worse.

20. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

And yet...the government may well yet have to renationalise. Ha ha ha, oh, to be a politician, where one can repeatedly stuff up and make u turns and keep one's overpaid job!

Shedman likes this.