1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher shortage is getting worse, according to MPs

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MacGuyver, Feb 21, 2017.

1. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

JR How come? Surely it's even easier in London?

£1.3 billion. Wow. ANGRY.

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The MPs complaining about recruitment problems in their constituencies are not the ones deciding education policy. I guess a lot of the disheartening stuff isn't voted on in Parliament, but they seemed happy enough not to rebel about ofsted policies earlier in the lifetime of the Government. Some of them will have voted through the Academies bills and the like.
    The problem will be that Parliament's energies are going to be sapped by economic problems, Brexit, the NHS and more economic problems. There may be a single better pay deal in autumn 2019 to persuade people in the run up to the election that they can be re-elected, this will be alongside the single extra bed they install in a hospital somewhere in a different part of the country to every person in the country.

Shedman likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

State education is not and never will be a topic of any real importance for this government.

It's just constant meddling and "reform" that has made things much worse. The birth of academy chains and free schools has been the death of the enjoyment of teaching. Even I am losing my enthusiasm for educating children (something I never thought would happen).

elia2004, yodaami2 and Shedman like this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Yes, paid and ups3!

Shedman likes this.
  5. arianasarah866

arianasarah866 New commenter

If they know the problems so well why don't they just fix them! Before all that's left are schools of barely qualified (or not qualified) teachers. I'm sure there are record numbers of people with teacher qualifications but if they're not teaching it doesn't count does it!
    Education policy nowadays is pretty ridiculous and something needs to give in order to make it any better.

elia2004 and Shedman like this.
  6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

You might thinks so, given that there are more schools in London, however, the pool of would-be teachers is also much greater. being old and expensive does not help either.

7. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I am surprised to hear that, as it is the very opposite of London. Out of curiosity, I gave the Brum office of one the agencies with which I registered a call and asked whether they had anything available. I was told that it was 'very quiet'.

8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

A very informed and interesting post. Thanks for posting.

elia2004 likes this.
  9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Only if there are sufficient teachers out there that the agency can place. If there are no teachers out there wanting school work then the agency won't get paid for filling a vacancy. However, if enough teachers give up full time permanent positions and go on supply so that there are a large number of vacancies to fill and a healthy supply of supply teachers then the agencies will be coining it in.

needabreak likes this.
  10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Perhaps it's a shortage of cheap physics teachers NQTs or M1,2. Schools don't want to pay a penny more than they have to. Perhaps the government will one day wake up to the fact that it costs a huge amount of money to train a teacher (Mr Media reckons a six figure sum for a teacher in their second year) but they're not giving the schools enough money to employ experienced teachers so they leave teaching or go abroad.

elia2004, lanokia and MrMedia like this.
  11. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Don't worry. A wind-up merchant, or perhaps just a plain liar.

12. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

1.3 billion over 5 years that is about a 3 k pay rise for everyone, so that's where all the money has gone.

lanokia likes this.
  13. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

II am being selfish, but I hope more teachers leave, more the better! I can't leave teaching at present and the work load is killing me and my relationship. I am hoping the government wake up and change something, not really bothered about the pay anymore(more would be nice), but reduce the hours we need to work.

Give OFSTED the power to check the teacher workload, if it causes the teachers to be working more than 8 hours a day, then you can only get RI. I can guarantee that within 6 mths, teacher workload will reduce. I know people will argue what can be done in 7 hours a day, but each school will have their own priorities: good lessons vs marking vs paper chasing vs data!

When the work load is reduced, teachers will stay and then problem will be get a bit better (then I will whinge about pay ).

andrew07, dleaf12, PeterQuint and 2 others like this.
  14. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Why is the education system paying agencies ? Why the middleman ? Oh yes, because the local authorities have been booted out. Throwing out the baby with the bath water.

lanokia and tonymars like this.
  15. applecrumblebumble

In as much as I love this idea we are in a catch 22 situation. If Ofsted were to bring in criteria which gave RI to any management that caused excessive workload, whether excessive hours or other, then it would have to be admitted that they could have changed this a long time ago. Ofsted are supposed to be independent of the government so you would have to be suspicious that if this criteria was introduced after the select committees report and therefore have the government directed Ofsted from the outset.
    The workload issue will need a root and branch solution - nationalise schools and admit that academisation has been a big experiment that has not work. Education working in circles again.

16. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Trouble is every school (ie leadership team, SIP, consultant, uncle Tom Cobbly and all) has introduced it's own spin on how to improve pupil outcomes, which in turn has increased teacher workload. For some schools its the introduction of triple, rainbow-coloured marking policies or the evaluation of every lesson, for some it's page-long lesson plans that are differentiated ten ways, for some it's the expectation that teachers will run extra-curricular clubs and revision sessions, for some it's the expectation that emails from SMT/parents will be acted on within an hour of receipt - shall I go on?

There's no one size fits all magic bullet that will decrease teacher workload. The hard won and lost 'Workload Agreement' wasn't upheld by most teachers and was ignored by school leaders, so it's hardly surprising we are where we are now.

However, a good start would be to get rid of the catch-all phrase in nearly all teachers' job descriptions: 'and any other task that the head teacher directs the teacher to undertake' or similar.

17. applecrumblebumble

Sorry silkywave but the LA were not booted out they just left because they started losing control of school. I am not a supporter of agencies but please read the thread on supply teacher.

18. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

I vote for good lessons every time.

lanokia, Anonymity and snowyhead like this.
  19. gigaswitch1

I agree Apple, but this needs sorting now and the government are not going to admit anything till after the next election. The OFSTED idea is a quick fix. I don't care if they wrap it in government speak: 'by overworking the teaching profession schools are reducing the teaching pupils can receive. If schools are seen to be reducing the time teachers have to plan, they will receive a RI ...' ( you might be able to tell I am not an English teacher). It is the government, just lie/bend the truth and it will help!

eljefeb90 likes this.
  20. gigaswitch1

This also would be a good start

lanokia and eljefeb90 like this.