1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher shortage is getting worse, according to MPs

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MacGuyver, Feb 21, 2017.

1. thin_ice

thin_ice New commenter

I’d rather take the word of someone (ie @MrMedia) who works in the specific sector being discussed, not what ‘I’ve heard’.

2. thin_ice

thin_ice New commenter

There is a strong whiff of the troll about this poster in this thread and others.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

"I've heard" from parents of students and students who have had said breakdowns and others who have not completed courses that they should have been capable of as well as data on MH issues among students in the sector, but you can think what you like especially as I was actually addressing someone else's points.

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

We could say the same about you... Or indeed anyone.

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

You say your tutors marked strictly and fairly, which I have no doubt is true. But on its own tells you nothing against grade inflation. You need to compare what it is required now against what was required for the same grade X years ago.

Little is written at the moment, however there is some evidence that the marketedization of universities has resulted in some inflation due to changes in how degrees are delivered.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...e+inflation&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&u=#p=EhKG94-QJ1gJ

That said students now shouldn't be bothered by it. It's still not 'easy' to get a degree.

needabreak likes this.
  6. drek

drek Lead commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/least-70-teachers-working-over-contracted-hours
    They should know why......
    My school may have reduced marking. But it has introduce some very rigid policies for absolutely everything under the sun in preparation for ofsted......
    This means we are still doing the same overtime hours as we have to provide the evidence for each policy which have impossible deadlines every week.
    The one hour cpd is essentially different leads telling us what deadlines for each one each week are to be met.
    Awful and not to mention unfair to those who may have one or two planning frees a werk and some of the community's most needy, insecure and impoverished students to teach the new inaccessible curriculums to. With unachievable progress targets to aim for.
    Go figure......what do these teachers feel each night?
    No one asks as no one really cares.

needabreak likes this.
  7. harpplayer

harpplayer New commenter

We had something similar where I worked as an NQT. There were endless policies and we were all required to have documented evidence of how we personally met each policy, which obviously meant everyone’s workload was horrendous.

Why ofsted don’t examine and report on workload at a school it’s inspecting is beyond me. It just shows that all the noise about reducing teacher workload is just that, noise. Teacher recruitment will continue to be problematic. I doubt I will ever work in a UK school again.

8. dreamweaverplusactor

dreamweaverplusactor New commenter

Well, they do ask now, but who's going to stick their neck out and say the workload is too much? This is particularly bad in a small school, where teachers who don't toe the line are more easily identifiable (and will probably have brought it up in the past, making it even easier to be targeted).