1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher shortage is getting worse, according to MPs

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MacGuyver, Feb 21, 2017.

1. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Employers of physics graduates include academic institutions, government research organisations and industry. Industries employing physicists are varied and include:
    • aerospace and defence
    • education
    • energy
    • engineering
    • instrumentation
    • manufacturing
    • oil and gas
    • science and telecommunications.
    Physics graduates not directly using their physics degree can pursue careers in a range of sectors such as IT and consultancy, the environmental industry, financial services, legal sector, transport and utilities.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/physics

2. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

There are also more useless, deceitful, on the make and on the take politicians than ever before. The result is Great Splitain.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  3. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Thing is, they've now got the knives out for upper main pay spine too, so all a bit bleak.

elia2004 likes this.
  4. physion

physion New commenter

And what about your current job please?

5. physion

physion New commenter

I agree, but there is no need of a masters degree to get into some of them?

SomethingWicked likes this.
  6. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

I retired this July (3 years early) because I'm fed up with the job. (I posted about why here https://community.tes.com/threads/well-thats-that-then-goodbye-mr-chips.754664/ ) .

Now I've just placed an ad offering individual tuition from September and have already had 5 enquiries from local folks... A colleague of mine who left three years back is now running his own business brewing beer and cider.

So to answer the post - ex-Physics teachers are alive and well and living live quite happily in the real world free from the stress and strain.

If MP's want to keep them in schools (and all the other teachers too), they need to start treating them like valuable, professional individuals, trust them to do their jobs, stop interfering in education (just because you've received one doesnt make you an expert) and yes, start paying them properly instead of the creeping decrease of 1% increment caps (despite "being in this together" strange how the MP's pay went up 17% since 2010 ). They could also try and give enough money to schools so they can afford books, photocopying and non-leaking roofs.

a1976, Mrsmumbles, JL48 and 1 other person like this.
  7. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Look through the information in the link I provided you with

8. yorkie63

yorkie63 New commenter

Teach in kuwait head of physics

9. physion

physion New commenter

Ok thanks a lot!

peggylu likes this.
  10. physion

physion New commenter

Thanks a lot for the reply! As you are so experienced,what is the most difficult issue in teaching physics that you faced in UK?

11. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Do you think they paid those young teachers (or maybe they are actors?) in the government’s recruiting ad?

12. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

> I have worked with an English teacher who is in this advert (20 seconds in)

I don't know if he did acting part time, but he was a guitar player and showman.

a1976 likes this.
  13. catherinedavid

catherinedavid New commenter

So trainees used to be paid did they? Well Iam a trainee and don't mind not being paid, but that will answer the question of why trainee teachers are not criss crossing the country to train and even more so when houses vary widely in value from region to region!!

14. catherinedavid

So most teachers want out.........because???

15. catherinedavid

Eh? But another bloke says most teachers want out...........!!!!

16. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

You're either a troll or someone who is paid to promote the teaching 'profession'.

17. a1976

I think they are actors.

18. a1976

Agree!

Catgirl1964 and catherinedavid like this.
  19. catherinedavid

Sorry to disagree, but I do not believe there is grade inflation with degrees. I have just gained a 2.1 in mine, but others all got 2.2 and only 1 girl a 1st! Grade inflation?! No way!!!

20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

If you think that one tiny group of people is in anyway significant then that might explain why you all did so badly. Someone with a degree should know that anecdotes are not proof of anything.