1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher shortage is getting worse, according to MPs

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MacGuyver, Feb 21, 2017.

1. hairdo

hairdo Occasional commenter

....must be why I am a supposedly good maths teacher who gets good results....but can't get a permanent post!

2. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

You forgot the image of a fat bespectacled Governor studying their hands in the background/filing nails......

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

What have the unions done to you then?
    More helpfully, have you contacted a good agency such as Reed. Fed up with endlessly filling in applications and schools refusing CVs, I worked for Reed for several years on supply (my choice) and then they found me a decent full time post that I have just moved on from after 4 years. Used them again this Summer, one interview with them, one interview at a school that suited me perfectly. In a new post form September.

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

personally, if I could work in industry,I would be very careful about moving into the rat race that is the current state education sector.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I wouldn't do it at all.

Teaching is a temporary job for young people who aspire to something better these days.

6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Ditto me for science, only I cannot get any paid work!

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

8. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

It is that time of year again, in which politicians and unions claim a shortage of teachers, was resulting in shcools using unqualified staff. A article I was reading a few years ago stated that we train around 30,000 teachers, but on average we need around 15,000, why? I accept that in some subjects there are shortages, but generally for most subjects the impression I get is that there is no teacher shortages and it is all about schools going for the cheaper option of using unqualified staff. Any will tell you that since Ed Balls was S of S for Education schools have got away with using unqualified staff without any attempt by the politicians who criticise the use of unqualified staff, the Dept of Education, teachers in permanent roles and of course the unions to stop it. I once saw a youtube video, which was presented if my memory serves me right by the leader of the NASUWT, Christine Keates promoting the use of cover supervisors, this is the same person who is criticising the shortage of teachers, and the use of unqualified staff. This despite there being thousands of teachers looking for work or who have given up and left the profession because they cannot get a post. One experienced science teacher once said on the TES forums, they contacted a local school about a science post after the publicly school said they had been unable to recruit a science teacher and was forced to use a unqualified person to teach science, The teacher said they contacted the school and to let them know they lived local and were available and willing to take up the science post, but got no reply from the school, why because the school wanted to adopt the cheaper option. In many ways the claim of teacher shortages and the needed to use unqualified staff is a smoke screen that as been used since Labour was in power to cover up the fact that HT's are constantly looking for the cheaper option as much as possible, when it comes to teaching certain subjects and classes.

9. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Which is why far too much of the next generation of schoolchildren is growing up disillusioned, under taught, and more than a bit thick. Can't blame your teachers forever. Parents have to get behind the teachers instead of bullying them, and unions need to get behind the teachers. Never gonna happen.

saluki and schoolsout4summer like this.
  10. cycomiz

cycomiz New commenter

A sa

11. cycomiz

cycomiz New commenter

we need more teachers and the government make a solution for it.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

They don't seem to get that spending money on a problem and solving it are two different things.

Especially when the problem in question is something they don't really care much about anyway.

There are more teachers than ever before - job done.

13. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I have had exactly the same experience. There might be a shortage of cheap science teachers but I still think there is a prejudice against using older, more experienced staff. If you do supply through an agency you get a flat rate but schools will still not look at you. The only positions for which I am in demand are unpaid ones.

I remember being sent to a school by an agency, only find that the job was unpaid, so I turned it down. A couple of days later, the agency were on the phone.

"The school really want you. What would persuade you to change your mind?"
    "Pay me some money!"
    "It doesn't work like that."

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    peggylu likes this.
  14. physion

physion New commenter

According to many researches there is a huge shortage in Science / Physics teachers around world , especially in UK where physics teachers leave profession during the first 3-5 years. So, where are all those physics teachers are employed after teaching ? I mean that having no experience in another sector what other position would they get?

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There is a lot of demand for Physics graduates in industry - always has been

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Lots of Physicists go into Law apparently.

17. yorkie63

yorkie63 New commenter

Having been teaching physics and maths for over 25 years, i just moved overseas, in the uk been on UPS 3 was a death sentence

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That's why I always avoided getting there.

19. wanet

wanet Star commenter

There has always been a shortage of physics teachers.
    Often demand and supply do not match up with the locality. Often teachers are not willing to move to where the jobs are.

20. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

Often schools can't pay enough to persuade teachers to move where the jobs are.

Other industries have no problem attracting talent to certain parts of the country. Of course, they can afford to pay more for that.