1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher shortage is getting worse, according to MPs

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MacGuyver, Feb 21, 2017.

1. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

Got a degree? You'll probably get £25k out of it.

But I imagine when you started your teaching career you had something approaching a decent level of subject knowledge in English.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39355165

Recruitment dropping, experienced teachers leaving, government in denial...

Perfect storm.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  3. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

A few of us have been saying for some time, they're going to have to do something.

That 'something' may well not involve spending any money, but real action on workload would be good.

A mate said to me yesterday, the problem is Ofsted saying "We do not require..." (triple marking, etc.).

They need to start saying we do not want to see triple marking, and will downgrade any school allowing excessive workload practices.

I used to work in an office, and you weren't allowed to eat and work at your desk at lunch. They forced you to leave the desk as you had a legal requirement to have a lunch. The company could have got in trouble for npt enforcing it.

It should be (and probably legally is already) a school's job to ensure you are not overworked, and that includes a person who wants to overwork themselves.

4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Got a red brick uni degree and higher degree. Just a bit innumerate. But it would be a lark to retrain as a teacher when I'm already trained. Can see it happening. I can get a job for 30 k, which is a fifteen k drop for me after twenty years. Or get onto one of these courses and have far shorter hours for a twenty k drop. Hmmmm.

tonymars likes this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

I uploaded files to e teach but never fully registered. Every month my details get passed on to another agency flunkey. Yesterday one called and begged me to work in an academy. My reply:" Sorry, but I hate academies, and would rather inject both my feet with leprosy than work in one. Cheerio."

MacGuyver likes this.
  6. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

Labour's policies didn't work either.

7. Mrsmumbles

Shocking. Really appalling. The naked truth!

8. andrew07

Maybe it is because when the teacher returns, you discard them without so much as saying kiss my a** now f&&& off.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  9. andrew07

And rightly so. There are plenty of people here who can teach.

10. drek

drek Lead commenter

gladly? - teacher training? Depends on the luck of the draw. The school your placed in, the mentors state of mind, whether the scheme you've joined is going to be carry on being funded the next year or not and a hundred other variables which shouldn't factor into teacher training and mentoring.

slingshotsally likes this.
  11. drek

drek Lead commenter

12. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

Retrain; get the bursary; do a runner. There are very few strings attached to it. I'm curious if you could retrain, even though you already are a teacher.

And trust me, being innumerate isn't stopping some people from trying.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  13. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

That's a fair point.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  14. drvs

drvs Star commenter

That's right. 1.28 out of every 4 applicants are unable to use numbers properly.

galerider123 likes this.
  15. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Also ... teacher shortage?

The number of trained teachers is at record levels.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  16. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

This afternoon, we happened to walk past out local primary school, which always has its fence swathed with banners, proclaiming that it is 'outstandingly outstanding, etc'. Now, they have a new one, which invites you to 'train to teach at this school, generous bursaries available'. This, I have never seen before, so there must be money in it for the school.

17. IlMentore

IlMentore New commenter

Trained teacher does not been experienced teacher, competent teacher or employed teacher. Words have meaning and choice of words is almost always relevant; trained is an odd choice of words when discussing staff shortages, so consider why they chose that word instead of the others.

galerider123 likes this.
  18. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

"... and that includes a person who wants to overwork themselves".
    This happens a lot - especially overly competitive colleagues, who do lots of extras to make themselves stand out. The problem is that SLT then expect everyone else to to it as well - usually for no extra financial reward.
    Teachers are their own worst enemies.,

Anonymity likes this.
  19. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

:eek::eek:o_O Goddamn!!

20. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Sounds a bit desperate - a bit cheap. Makes the "profession" look unprofessional.
    IMHO