1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher shortage is getting worse, according to MPs

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MacGuyver, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I await the long overdue and for once welcome Daily Mail hysterical 'It's a National Disgrace!' News stories with bated breath...

Mandamissteach likes this.
  2. Mrsmumbles

Nope. Sorry, just nope.

3. Mrsmumbles

Really? Hey, let's meet up and I can retrain as a Maths teacher and fast track up the SLT grease pole. I'm so perversely proud that I taught English for twenty years with a D in Maths.

4. Mrsmumbles

Hate to tell you this, but it's probably pity. Like the way you'd try to connect with someone who does extreme marathons or monthly fasts. PIty. Mixed with pity. Pitmiration. I dislike being pitmired. I was once respected. Now teaching has far too much name calling, name and shaming in that stupid DFE website, and connotations of child interference. I loved 'The Inbetweeners', but hated how they portrayed teachers as psychos, bullies and pervs.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

It's real my friend. It's very real!

6. Mrsmumbles

To be honest I would try to descale the eyes of the compliant child teachers. That would be MY national service contribution!

slingshotsally likes this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

"Emperor Gove's got nay clothes on! He's STARKERS!"

Mandamissteach likes this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

Indeed. Which is why I am furious with Labour, they will NEVER get a voter-allegiance-swapping opportunity like this ever again! Yet they stuffed it.

slingshotsally likes this.
  9. dgillm01

dgillm01 New commenter

I would be perfectly willing to do this, so long as I can eke out a modest 1 bedroom living until I can suss out getting permanent citizenship and a QTS (assuming those things are for me in the end, of course). I'll even include that in my applications that I'm submitting to Taunton School and Castle School, if you think it'll make me more appealing to them.
    Tangent: why are all the schools I'm finding advertising for teachers Independent? Seems like Maintained schools might need some too?

Moving to England because I've got a friend near Somerset and would like the chance to experience the environment.
    Teaching because that's what I do and what I've gone to school for all this time.

No one ever said I wasn't completely stark, raving, and lunar :p I take great pride in my madness, sir!

Believe it or not, in my experience, you seem far better off than us Americans when it comes to Teaching. Though admittedly I should withhold that judgment until I actually teach in the UK

10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

You have said it right there. There is not a shortage of physics teachers, or any other supposed 'shortage subject', just a shortage of cheap ones. I am in contact with the physics teacher at my old school, who got pushed out before I did, and he can no more get any teaching work than I can.

11. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

That is ridiculous when TES are currently advertising over 100 vacancies for physics in the UK right now :(

Mrsmumbles and slingshotsally like this.
  12. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Imagine not hiring teachers (qualified, capable, experienced) because you won't get a training allowance for them?

Is this due to lack of funding from central government or complete lack of common sense from management?

Where are the children's needs in all this?

missbrody likes this.
  13. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Agree with this.

The media hate teachers, Gove hated teachers and so did Wilshaw.

Mrsmumbles and schoolsout4summer like this.
  14. clareturnertutor

clareturnertutor New commenter

Trying to escape the Trump regime? ;-) My husband's from America. Getting a spouse visa is so stressful and we just got leave to remain about a month ago. Looks like his timing was pretty good. You may have to look for a job outside of teaching to get your foot in the door or try for a student visa. Best of luck to you though.

15. Jolly_Roger1

The students' needs are nowhere. Schools are businesses, there to make money.

16. dgillm01

dgillm01 New commenter

haha. That's not my primary reason, but it certainly does make a good conversation piece, does it not?

So here's my dilemma then: how to I pay my debts if I'm not working, yeah? I'd be happy to pursue my Masters degree in the UK but I also have to pay my student debts and credit card bills each month too. So I need to be making at least 300-400 dollars (like... 200-300 pounds roughly) a month :p Of course, if they'll actually 30k a year to put me through the training I've already done, that'd work too, but I somehow doubt it

17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Good for you. I hope it turns out well.

18. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

At the bottom of the pile - as usual!

Mrsmumbles and slingshotsally like this.
  19. Mrsmumbles

Yup.

20. Jolly_Roger1

[​IMG]
    Tutor Fellow (Graduate Teaching Assistant)

Westminster, London | Circa £18,700 per annum | KING SOLOMON ACADEMY

We are looking for inspirational and committed graduates to join our staff team in King Solomon Academy and Ark Paddington Green.
    Closes 15 April 2017

......giving the job a fancy title, too