1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher shortage is getting worse, according to MPs

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MacGuyver, Feb 21, 2017.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We have really been struggling to find someone to cover a maternity leave in our department. We've had three people in (one today) and so far nobody has even been close to the standard we require.

I still get plaintive pleas from the supply agencies I worked for three years ago to come back.

Despite all the meally-mouthed b***** we get from this appalling government - there is a real crisis already that very few people are prepared to acknowledge.

Shedman and Mrsmumbles like this.
  2. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Where do you live, and what do you teach?

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

IMO that's a direct result of the weak approach to professional entry standards which I've been bleating about for the last 10 years. GIGO. Another factor in the great unravelling.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

There was a piece on Radio 4 in the week about Court Judges. Apparently there is a big shortage of judges at all levels of the Justice system and a shortage of suitable applicants to fill the vacancies. When asked why the reasons were the Government wrecking their pensions so many walked away and also the shortage means those left are often sitting of two or even 3 cases at the same time and so Barristers and Solicitors who could apply are put off by the workload. Many of those who stayed went part time!

So that's Teachers, Doctors, Prison Officers and Judges the Government has hacked off.

peggylu and Anonymity like this.
  5. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

...So, shall all of us authority figures stage a revolution and go off on a great big jolly to Downing Street together?!;):D

Moony likes this.
  6. clareturnertutor

clareturnertutor New commenter

Have you seen all the 'get into teaching' adverts on Facebook? They're offering up to 30k tax free to train as a teacher. Don't they get bribing people to become teachers is not going help the situation — the problem is people LEAVING because the conditions are terrible. There are articles all over the place about why teachers are leaving. Maybe someone in government should try reading them.

Shedman, eljefeb90, Kartoshka and 3 others like this.
  7. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I have only seen these bribes going up tells you they are getting more desperate. To me it is a no brainier for a young recruit, 25 or 30k, train as a teacher and get out as soon as. Get a job where you are respected.
    When the bribes stop working we have a cliff edge problem.

tonymars, Shedman, Mrsmumbles and 5 others like this.
  8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I still say that if the Govt was really desperate to recruit it would use the pool of older teachers, pushed out of their jobs, who are still looking for work. Surely, there would be little risk of taking them on long-term supply? A drowning man is not fussy about the lifebelt he is thrown.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  9. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

That's far too sensible even the navy have figured out that it would be reasonable to recruit engineers who have left the service and so makeup the shortfall in recruitment.
    Maybe they think us older teachers would be disruptive influence to their now compliant younger staff. We would tell the management where to get off when they ask us to do things which are unreasonable or burst their bubble when they come up with this brand new idea only to be told we did that 15 - 20"years ago (called xyz) and it didn't work then.
    When the bribes stop working we might reach the lifebelt stage.

10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@applecrumblebumble: As in the 'Emperor's New Clothes', we oldies might blurt out the invisible cloth really does not exist.

Mrsmumbles and peggylu like this.
  11. dgillm01

dgillm01 New commenter

Hah! Someone forward me these adverts. I'm an American who's already trained, but I will gladly subject myself to training again if it means 30k and a foot in the door :p I've been dying to move to England to teach for the last several months, but I've been having trouble getting my apps looked at since no one wants to sponsor a work visa

12. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Schools don't have enough money, which is a not insignificant part of the problem. If you were willing to work for a teacher's salary minus the costs of the work visa, I'm sure schools would snap you up. I doubt the money is there for both :(

13. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

Is it "Moving to England" or "Teaching (in England)" that you want??
    If the former then welcome aboard, there'll be some interesting times ahead.

If the latter then you must be absolutely barking mad... in which case, sorry but by construction you can't come!! :D

Shedman and Anonymity like this.
  14. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

Exactly, why can't they see that the tax-free £30k is only going to motivate them to do the training and NOT get them to stay in teaching. I had a student teacher in my department last term who was very impressive, quick to learn and adapt and our faculty would love to have him join the team.
    However, now that I have a vacancy to advertise, SLG are forcing me to take on a new graduate who has NOT completed a teacher training course as the local government will subsidies the cost of that particular trainee. The other student teacher has applied for other posts locally and they won't even offer him an interview!

The subject is PHYSICS, so what on earth are they playing at??? He worked in engineering for many years before retraining as a physics teacher.....and now is looking at getting back into engineering.

Well done UK government - another £30k wasted AND another physics teacher lost from education.

For this reason (and many others) I am glad to be leaving these shores this summer to take up my first international post.

15. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Who needs the hen trials and the spontaneous confessions of uncommitted crimes when there's all this stupidity happening for real?!

16. Mrsmumbles

Not even smaller companies. Our famous and once successful brand Boots the Chemists has been bought out by a multinational. Dragged into its debt laundering. The company changed, staff overworked, no longer what it was. Guardian 'The Big Read' did an excellent piece on it a year ago. Lots of uk businesses are actually now no longer Brirish at all.

17. Mrsmumbles

Well I don't mate. When, and not if, that day comes, it's gonna be Trump Learning and mass teaching via apps and mass -franchised online learning programmes. The vintage classy way to go will be to put your poor kids through all this, but also invest in private tuition to plug the inevitable shocking gaps in understanding.

18. Mrsmumbles

Yep. To the tutors who still live teaching and are blooming good at it but are price doubt of the ageist workforce. Nice.

19. Mrsmumbles

Oh...um...and we can teach hire cheap 'foreigners' in, as post Brexit Britain doesn't want them....idiot government. Politics and Education, Politics and Religion, Politics and Art. All shouldn't be kept separate in order to avoid national meltdowns like ours. And it is a meltdown. My students are depressed, scared, sometimes terrified to look at Assessment objectives. They are picking up on the tension felt by their younger stressed teachers. Then their brains conk out. I spent yesterday having to go over apostrophe use and when tomuse quotation marks with a sixteen year old. Mad!

galerider123 likes this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

So well put. Congratulations to you. You win, they lose! What a shame our greedy Tories never thought that public sector staff could also obey market forces. It's the same with the self employed national insurance u turn. Had that gone through, they'd have actually lost more in tax and NI. More would have emigrated, or just under declared. Tax the 1% instead!