1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher shortage is getting worse, according to MPs

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MacGuyver, Feb 21, 2017.

1. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39028840

Some, eh, interesting statements here.

The Department for Education said there were currently record levels of teachers.
    A spokesman said: "We recognise there are challenges."
    But, he said, the department had spent £1.3bn on a recruitment campaign.

It doesn't matter if there are record levels of teachers if supply can't keep up with demand. And, £1.3 billion! BILLION!! :eek::mad:

clareturnertutor and lanokia like this.
  2. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

£1.3b really is a large sum to pay.

Still, it is a good exercise in fake news. There are indeed more teachers than ever. And children. They kind of go hand in hand those numbers. There are indeed more qualified teachers than ever. Absolutely right. Far more than we need. They just are not teaching. And nothing is getting those expensively trained teachers to stay in the profession. Certainly not Teach First whose 40% retention rate after two years suggests the cost per Teach First graduate in teaching after two years to be in six figures. Schools are indeed able to pay their teachers what they want. And what they want is cheaper teachers and better remunerated senior leaders.

Regionally there are major issues. Locally there are major issues. Who wants to work in a toxic exam factory? A yo yo OfSTEDer with horrendous churn? Who wants to move to an area where you have no family or friends and you pay twice as much for your house? Before School Direct, trainees would regularly cross cross the country and train in different areas and many would stay in that area. Now, far fewer trainees are moving region to train and are subsequently swelling or enjoying the labour pool in their area. But none of them are being paid any more.

3. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

It amazes me that they quote facts like this as if we should be impressed with their effort - all that says to me is that the government has wasted 1.3 billion pounds on a failed recruitment campaign which wouldn't be necessary in the first place if anyone had been managing the workforce effectively in the last decade.

So congratulations - you have recognised the challenges which you created, spent a huge amount of money and failed to address the challenges effectively. Shout it from the rooftops. :mad:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  4. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

"MPs want more active efforts to reduce the numbers quitting teaching."

44809113-Shackled-3D-render-of-shackled-hand-with-multiple-chains-Stock-Photo.jpg

"The government needs to do more to encourage teachers to stay in the profession by raising the status of teachers, improving the opportunities for good quality training, and by doing all it can to help reduce teacher workload," said Neil Carmichael, who chairs the committee."

Who believes that they will do any of this?

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Could it turn into something of a breath on a cold mirror and if it steams up your in kind of recruitment drive?

How can they not see that this could drive down standards and it's retention that is without doubt key?

Or do they neither recognise nor care that good teachers have been thrown out with the bathwater year on year for a number of years. I guess if it isn't your offspring attending state schools then you might not recognise or really care about the reality that is public sector education.

Recruitment costs over a billion? I've said it before, if they aren't staying then what a waste!

collinssteve446, Mrsmumbles and drvs like this.
  6. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

[​IMG]

7. yorkie63

yorkie63 New commenter

Shortage of Physics teachers. Rubbish. I have taught Physics for over 20 years and cannot get a job in the UK. OK over 50 years and UPS 2 might not help nor with a Grammar/International background.
    So i'm overseas again.

Shedman likes this.
  8. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

Maybe you're not very good :D

Riddlemethis and MacGuyver like this.
  9. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Yorkie sounds expensive. Schools don't want to pay the money. They would rather hire unqualified or those from a related discipline and pay them less. An NQT biology teacher teaching physics - imagine the saving over a five year term? You could then buy in some consultancy and resources from, well, that's handy, a company which you own. Why not build a leisure centre and run that at the same time? And a dating agency?

collinssteve446 and wroberts3 like this.
  10. lulu57

lulu57 Senior commenter

The Tories just want a steady stream of young, cheap teachers - even if they leave after 5 years. And they'd rather waste 13 billion than admit their policies don't work.

11. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

My experience is exactly the same. I am a chemistry teacher in London with 35 years experience, and I cannot get a paid teaching job.

Mrsmumbles and schoolsout4summer like this.
  12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Come to Brum. I have been offered 3 chemistry jobs since October. I know of another 2 being advertised for September and I was also offered one of those before the ad went out.

13. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@blazer: Are they paid jobs? I get offered jobs but none of them are paid, or so poorly paid it would hardly cover the petrol.

14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Lead commenter

If you read the article, the members of the Select Committee understand the issues perfectly - so how come they're not getting through to the Government?

'The government is failing to take adequate measures to tackle "significant teacher shortages" in England, a committee of MPs has said.

The Education Select Committee has called for a long-term plan, as schools struggle to recruit enough teachers and pupil numbers continue to rise.

MPs want more active efforts to reduce the numbers quitting teaching.

The report from the cross-party committee, though, says recruitment targets for teaching had been consistently missed and the teacher shortage is getting worse.

It warns that this causes particular problems in some shortage subjects in secondary school, including physics, maths and computing.

But the MPs say that there is no clear long-term plan to address this - and they suggest there should be greater efforts to keep teachers from leaving the profession and moving to other jobs.

Figures last year showed that almost a third of new teachers who had started jobs in English state schools in 2010 had left within five years.

The MPs want measures to tackle problems that make people leave teaching - such as an "unmanageable workload" or a lack of professional development.

"The government needs to do more to encourage teachers to stay in the profession by raising the status of teachers, improving the opportunities for good quality training, and by doing all it can to help reduce teacher workload," said Neil Carmichael, who chairs the committee.

He said the government could consider "holding fire" on policy changes that added to the pressure on schools.

And he suggested schools needed time to support staff development without constantly being "distracted by the demands of the latest Whitehall directive".'

lanokia likes this.
  15. sabram86

sabram86 New commenter

The crux of the problem is that no-one is taking responsibility for it. "Autonomy" means the Department of Education has washed its hands of teachers' salaries and pensions, school budgets, recruitment and retention, and any other "chalk-face" problems. It can, with some justice, claim it has done a lot to get more trained teachers with better degrees (thanks to grade inflation). Its remit, arguably, stops there.

SLTs, MATs and other senior/executive level wonks still feel they can blame the government and Ofsted for their woes. For some reason, teachers believe them. Ofsted has gone out of its way to clear up some time-consuming myths over things like lesson-planning and graded-observations. Yet they carry on. It's not really in the interests of managers to reduce the churn. A workforce of NQTs, unqualified teachers and a few more senior soon to be middle-management types mean they can enjoy their inflated salaries and pensions with little opposition. NQTs don't have the courage to face down the monster. Their colleagues are as craven and conformist, all too often. The result is the mess we have now. I doubt it will change.

lanokia, Mrsmumbles, Landofla and 2 others like this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

But don't forget there are more teachers in schools than ever before as the government says on every occasion,

So no need to worry

lanokia and Mrsmumbles like this.
  17. needabreak

It's ironic really from the party who patronised minimal bureaucracy and state intervention wasting money on more HR/training bureaucracy. Staff at the coal face are too busy dealing with the consequences of high staff turnover to effect any other measures to deal with it (not that the system allows for it) and who with the power to effect improvement actually else cares?

I won't repeat the costs of recruitment again but suffice to say it is an addition to the £1.3bn mentioned above and we are talking figures schools can ill afford.

I admire teachers who have tried to remain in the state education system despite its faults yet managed to find alternative equally fulfilling and more rewarding posts outside of it, they are the ones who will likely have fewer health issues and greater acknowledgment of their efforts.

Shedman and phlogiston like this.
  18. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

OFSTED has gone out of its way to SAY that it has cleared up some myths but actions speak louder than words.

When I hear a repeated tale from friends who have been inspected, that they were not looking at the details of marking, planning etc. then I may start to believe it. A juggernaut that has taken 15 or so years to get up to steam does not change on the basis of a few press releases. By their deeds shall ye know them.

19. needabreak

On the plus side it must be keeping recruitment agencies and job advertisers in business. o_O

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  20. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I had a call about a month ago from an agency offering me a Physics teaching post. Told them I wasn't interested.

The girl on the end of the phone asked me if I knew anyone else who might be interested. Told her that most teachers wanted out. Her reply....."It does seem that way!"