1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher shortage in MFL or not?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by greylag, Mar 18, 2008.

1. As a potential PGCE applicant, there seems to me to be a conflict between reports of falling numbers taking languages in schools, university MFL departments contracting, etc. and the fact that MFL is still treated as a shortage subject by the government, with bursaries to attract new trainees. Is there really a shortage of MFL teachers and will there still be a shortage in 2 years time? Interested to hear your views.

2. bettieblu

bettieblu New commenter

I find this interesting as apparently (according to the government) English is no longer a shortage subject despite the fact it is a subject that is compulsary till 16, and there are reams of pages of jobs being advertised in TES each week for English teachers. I have been told (in warning) by an English teacher that the drop out is high as English is effectively two subjects Language and Literature so double the pressure.
    Possibly in a years time MFL will no longer be seen as a shortage subject either - I have no idea where this government is currently going with the teaching figures at all. Remember as well that many of the "baby boomers" will be retiring in the next 5 years and that is going open the floodgates for holes in the teaching community!

3. I have a friend who qualified as an MLF teacher last summer, and has only just been able to get a job. She doesnt seem to think it's a shortage subject at all.

4. Im amazed that the government is still selling MFL PGCE as a shortage subject as theres no way it is. Out of a group of friends of mine, 5 MFL teachers are still without work. Its bizarre, misleading and extremely unfair of the government to keep selling it this way as my friends started the PGCE with the assumption that they would get a job. In my opinion, as more and more schools are going for the BTEC route when it comes to option time, MFL may be squeezed out of schools even further thus making jobs even sparser than they are now.

5. Rotwein44

Rotwein44 New commenter

From my MFL PGCE course last year, everyone who wanted a job got one except one person who was offering Russian, and there arent so many schools offering Russian!

6. Hi Rot
    And where did you graduate from?

7. There may(?) be a national shortage but that doesn't mean there is a shortage in each region. I know a number of recently qualified MFL teachers who have felt forced to move out of teaching as they have been unable to find teaching work. All were expecting to find a job AND to receive the golden Hello of £2500, which would help to pay off the student loan! I find it appalling that ITT providers either don't realise that many of theire graduates will be unemployed and very disillusioned or are they just interested in receiving funding for each trainee teacher??

8. When I passed my MFL PGCE course in 2009-2010, I found it hard to find a job but I got a job in Swindon . some trainees found a job a few months later. In London, you can find a MFL teaching job easily I think

9. Hi all, as a prospective MFL PGCE student I'm interested to know what the current employment situation is for MFL teachers. The Government is still saying it is a shortage subject, but I can't see that many vacancies around. What do you guys think?

10. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

MFL is one of those subjects that can be a "joy" or a "challenge" to teach..

In good state schools, grammars, Independents, you can be confident most of your classes will include at least some kids who actually want to learn a foreign language.

Those schools tend to hang on to MFL teachers and there are not many vacancies there.

In other schools (you can surely imagine the settings), you will find every class packed with kids who "hate the f*****g fr**s" and see no reason why they'd ever want to speak fr** or any other brand of "foreign".

Those schools do experience a bit of a turnover of staff....

11. Hi Paul, are you an MFL teacher? I taught EFL for two years at a high school in South Korea, so have a bit of experience of the students you describe already.