1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teacher shop? gifts for pupils on the cheap

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Cez24, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Cez24

Cez24 New commenter

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone knows o a good site I could get a batch of pencils or little gifts to give to my class as a treat for the start of a new year? I would like a set of persoalised pencils but don't know where to get them from, and i need to do it on the cheap. I love giving children presents but I've just bought my own pad and Im skint!

any ideas please drop us a line x Merry Christmas everyone as well! xx

2. Cez24

Cez24 New commenter

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone knows o a good site I could get a batch of pencils or little gifts to give to my class as a treat for the start of a new year? I would like a set of persoalised pencils but don't know where to get them from, and i need to do it on the cheap. I love giving children presents but I've just bought my own pad and Im skint!

any ideas please drop us a line x Merry Christmas everyone as well! xx

3. Studio cards? (www.24studio.co.uk I think)

4. Cez24

Cez24 New commenter

hmm not much luck there, any other ideas?

5. all of the big sticker companies for schools do them

6. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

I'm sorry but teachers who regularly give out treats make life very difficult for other teachers who do not regard it as their role to keep treating the pupils.
    It actually leads to the situation where pupils demand to know why you haven't bought them an Easter egg or a Christmas treat when "Miss X and Mrs Y have!" I've had pupils refuse to take part in work if there isn't a prize for the winner, all because so many other teachers now adopt the "reward every little achievement with a prize" format.

If your school expect pupils to get treats, tell them to provide them or re-imburse you for the expenditure.

How can the profession legitimately claim to be underpaid when so many see it as part of the job to buy treats and educational resources out of their own pocket?

7. Hi
    I havent been on here for a while but i found the response Jubilee sent as quite rude.
    If you dont have anything nice to say then please dont say anything at all. She/he was only asking for help, not opinions on whether it is right or wrong.
    Happy new year!

8. I don't think her thread was rude at all. A very well voiced opinion and eloquently put.

At which point was she rude to anyone?!

And I'm sorry, but it really winds me up when people say 'If you dont have anything nice to say then please dont say anything at all'.

9. I will apologise, but we all read things differently and that is how i interpretated that thread. We are NQTs who ask for help thats all not to be told whether something is right or wrong.

Oh and i do like if you havent got something nice to say then don't say anything else at all, just thought you would like to know.

galalgrace and Purpleidris like this.
  10. do you say the same thing when people offer up an opinion that differs your own?

11. This is a forum, ginger2uz, so people have a right to voice their opinions and to disagree with the views and perspectives of others.I'm with pinkflipflop, I'm afraid that 'If you don't have anything nice to say then please don't say anything at all' is not really appropriate here as jubilee,whose valuable contributions I have read for years,was merely voicing an opinion.
    I agree with jubilee, the idea of giving gifts to children is not a good one and could lead to lack of motivation when they don't get one.For example,as we broke up at Christmas a Year 3 said to me;"My mum says you're really great Mr Everyman, do I get something?"

12. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

When pupils ask me for presents/prizes, or complain about the lack of them, (or as often happens, suggest that I should be buying exercise books and equipment when the school stocks are used up) I ask them what their mum or dad does for a living. I then ask if the shopkeeper mum spends some of her wages on treats for the customers or whether their office worker dad buys replacement printer paper and ink!

I have no objections to giving pupuls incentives in school but I favour things like stars on a wallchart (Primary) and House/Form points/Merit slips/certificates (Secondary) with all the paraphenalia supplied from the school's budget.

13. Thanks!
    Baker Ross very good. I think I'm going to buy the magnets that you insert pic/photo into.[​IMG]

14. In Tesco, they have packs of 32 yoyos, balls etc for £4

Purpleidris likes this.
  15. I really think you need to chill out and not take things so serious. I actually pity the students you ever get in your classroom. If a teacher wishes to treat their students then they should be allowed to. The person that asked the question at the beginning was looking to treat his students at the beginning of the year...not the whole year round.
    I have a reward system in place for my students and I have to say that not once has it failed. In fact the students I get seem to strive in every lesson to gain more points. The only treat they get is an end of year party...which they would get anyway only I go all out for it.
    You might want to jump on board with other teachers and do what they are doing in the 21st Century instead of staying in the dark ages. The reimbursement sounds pathetic also. We aren't talking about spending hundreds of pounds....hence the word 'treats'.
    Your students seem to be quite demanding if they would react in the way you suggested i.e. Easter egg etc. If you disciplined them properly, then maybe this wouldn't be the case...positive discipline I mean.
    I'm sorry if you think I'm wrong on this topic but I really think you're out of line to say that we teachers (who give treats) make other teachers lives difficult.

16. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Jubilee's point discussed this seriously: rightly so in my opinion.
    If that's not rude, I don't know what is.
    It makes no difference. The principle is the same.
    Perhaps you could explain why it's somehow "modern" to spend your own money on treats for pupils.
    Why is it "pathetic"? If the school wants to provide "treats" as part of school policy they should finance it.
    Wow. Big assumption - and again, rude.
    It undermines other teachers. Do you really not see that?
    I agree with jubilee. How can teachers claim to be professionals and talk about being paid a professional salary when they buy resources like "treats" themselves? It's even worse when they buy teaching resources as well.
    I don't suppose you are - for one minute.

17. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

This thread was so dead... (July last year) Was there a reason to restart it?
    However now it has been...
    A good (and very cheap) 'treat' are stickers. You (or the school) can buy blank round stickers from somewhere like Mouse 2 House and you can design them personally if you so wish. Not OTT but the kids like them.
    When I left my school I gave my year 10's personalised note books (fronts printed with a relevant image for each of them, laminated & all bound in school) They loved them.
    I think its up to the individual teacher. I certainly wouldn't get all my classes something but I have done this (as mentioned) for my form & GCSE classes who I had more contact time with and who actually made my days brighter (in a pretty depressing NQT year).
    I agree with the poster who mentioned about other jobs not buying customer etc gifts and if something was 'expected' by students I'd give this explanation too, but I disagree that the (very) occasional reward undermines anyone. x

galalgrace likes this.
  18. gremlin86

gremlin86 New commenter

As an NQT, I am quite concerned at how bitchy and unkind some teachers are to one another. GOSH!

Professionalism gone askew!

Any more websites (cheap and cheerful) to treat my pupils who I will be leaving this year would be appreciated. :)

Thanks