1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher Safety

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by cjward2, Apr 19, 2020.

1. cjward2

cjward2 New commenter

It's all well and good saying schools may reopen as one of the earlier lock-down measures to be lifted as children appear less susceptible to developing serious symptoms. However what about us teachers. My wife has a friend who is a consultant who her today that she has young, fit people with no pre existing health conditions in ICU. My school has over 1300 pupils. Social distancing is impossible in school - unless you have 7 in a class (basically 1 per table) The research then tells us that after a cough the virus can "hang around" airborne for several minutes as we stand there in our classrooms breathing it all all in to take home to our families. Masks are pointless - a virus is tiny and will pass straight through the material just as the air does allowing you to breath through it. I hope we aren't the guinea pigs for the first wave of lock-down easing.

2. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

From what the media has said over the last 24 hours or so, i don't think this will happen. I think some of the popular press seized on an idea of a gradual exit route but was wildly optimistic with the timings. Try not to worry until things happen.

3. elenaro

elenaro New commenter

I think the first problem here is that schools are actually NOT closed? I am aware that all officials talk about UK schools having been closed and everyone doing home schooling, so obviously this is what everybody thinks. However, primary schools have not only not been closed but they have also stayed open during Easter holidays to provide for vulnerable children and children of key workers. I have been working on average two days a week in school( travelling by public transport), as well as planning for my class distance learning. The issue is not the workload, but the simple fact that schools are open for a reduced number of children - that still makes it impossible for us to stay safe and maintain social distancing. Everyone who has seen a child aged 4-11 knows that you cannot constantly maintain 2m distance. Plus, the children attending school have to do the same learning as the ones at home- how can I help them log on or show them how to do their work without leaning over their shoulder? Masks are obviously out of question... Yes, we wash our hands and were told to wash our clothes as soon as we get home; but there is no monitoring of children( and adults) temperature when they come in, we have different children nearly every day and to this date there has not been any government led initiative to have at least a deep cleaning of schools. From this point of view, I think that schools reopening without any precaution or any measure put in place will be a disaster- maybe not so much for the children, but for those around them. During the last week before lockdown, when the rest of Europe had closed( completely) all schools, half of my students' families went into isolation. What chance does an adult stand, working face to face, within close contact, spending 6 hours a day in the same room with 30 children? I rest my case...
    I do apologize for rambling on for so long, must be the lockdown blues- stay well everybody!

Sally006, Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  4. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Secondary schools are open too. And we were also open throughout Easter.

5. letap

letap Occasional commenter

The scenario that frightens me is the opening up for boarding schools for possibly for half a term. Social distancing is impossible in boarding houses.
    If Covid19 is present within the boarding campus, then the chances are the students may well be asymptomatic and are likely to spread the virus to all parts of the country when they leave for the summer holiday.

6. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Have other countries done the same with schools staying open for key worker/vulnerable children? If not, and they have 'flattened the curve' much quicker than us, then it seems counter-productive for us to be doing it.

7. crumbleskates

crumbleskates Occasional commenter

There was an effort with NAHT and Gavin Williamson to stop media speculating about going back. Then Geoff Barton has to start it all up again under the guise of there needs to be proper precautions etc
    Our school Leaders and unions need to stop talking about it other than to say:
    1. We are not considering going back until it is proven safe
    2. we need to decide what going back could look like
    3.all measures such as testing etc are in place.
    Amazing letter from nhs to Government about schools not reopening. Why are our own ‘leaders’ not saying this unequivocally?

8. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

The answer is they couldnt care less about teachers!
    What this pandemic has shown me is that:
    1: Everyone thinks they can do your job better than you
    2: Teachers aren't seen as human beings
    3: As long as parents aren't inonvenienced they give little thought to staff welfare
    4: Government will throw several thousand teachers under the bus in order to do a good PR job

9. johnathanx

johnathanx New commenter

It's a very sticky question.

10. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

As always, science is divided and moves such as this by what we generally term as a highly educated people, will raise eyebrows and ruffle feathers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52470838

The Swiss are effectively saying there is little to no danger for primary school kids and teachers of same to go back to work/school.