1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher Retention- Damien Hinds blames outdated attitudes among SLT

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Jan 27, 2019.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Yesterday’s Guardian explained Damien Hinds, Education Secretary, blamed outdated attitudes of SLT, especially men, for blocking flexible working. He also wants to cut back marking and planning, reduce data collection and entry and deal with email overload. He said parents should retrain themselves from emailing teachers.

Sounds a bit more sensible to me than previous Education Secretary post holders. I know from my 35 years as a Secondary school teacher how hard it was to be part time. With child care it was easier to be full time since part time just meant gaps in the timetable. I was able to go part time in my 60’s since I lived close to school and could deal with the fragments of days. I contrast it with my daughter working in an office. She has Fridays off and can work from home on one day to make childcare more straightforward. She doesn’t have parents and options evenings to hang around for either. Her salary is much higher than a teacher of the same experience.

Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The Tories have wrecked state education in this country - that should always be remembered.

The current recruitment crisis and poor exam system is down to them.

It's just words - nothing more.

3. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Isn't Hinds just admitting that that they can't recruit enough teachers, so he's trying to persuade some to return (or stay) by making p/t easier?

Of course in other jobs they'd say 'recruitment crisis? We need to make the remuneration more attractive'! But apparently not for teachers!

Jamvic, install, emerald52 and 3 others like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Part of the recruitment crisis is due to Academy Chains and Free Schools - flagship Tory Policies. No teacher wants to work in these places because they are awful.

How many older teachers have been removed to drive down the wage bill. Teachers have become commodities - bought and sold at the cheapest prices.

We cannot recruit staff despite the fact we are an improving school. We cannot even get PGCE students - the few we have had have been poor compared to a decade ago.

Do the government even acknowledge there is a recruitment crisis ?

No of course they don't - they just churn out those platitudes about there being more qualified teachers than ever before.

Well here's a little factlet for them - other than myself and one other person (who is now in SLT) NONE of the students I graduated with in my PGCE cohort in my subject are still in teaching.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I saw this too, and somewhere, I cannot find it now or who said it, but in exactly this context, it was added "teachers choosing to do part time ought to be able to expect a greater amenability of schools to allow less than full time hours, but equally they ought not all to be cherry picking, and should understand the complex needs of whole school timetabling which confront a Head Teacher. So part time teachers ought to be flexible, and not all expect a four day week with Friday off"
    Well. I read into that that we could possibly expect an increase in the concept of "trapped time" ie it opens the door for HTs to employ teachers, say, 0.6 but across five days. Or, worse, for lesson one, two and five on one day. Yes-it happens.
    We all know this means better value for the school. That teacher, once in, feels a personal commitment to go that extra mile for, say, the parent who is waiting, or, pivotally, for the meeting which is happening after school.
    Sorry, I do not trust Mr Hinds, or indeed any published high up initiative which claims to embrace part time teaching, because of the phenomenon which is part timers giving pro rata more. And schools paying pro rata less for it. Any part timer reading this knows exactly what I mean.
    This article is simply opening the door for more of the same.

Laphroig, Jamvic, les25paul and 2 others like this.
  6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I rememeber saying more than twenty years ago that after the Tories had stomped all over FE, privatised it, turned it into a "business", deregulated it, driven down wages, increased workload, and destroyed the pay scale, they would come for teachers. Vindicated. The unions are the problem, followed by Blair who did not do a damned thing except be a bigger Tory than the previous lot. Then Cameron's lot just made everything worse to the nth degree.

eljefeb90, Jamvic and monicabilongame like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I don't want to job share.

I don't want to work part time.

I enjoy being in the classroom. I like working with pupils.

I do not need SLT/TLR holders constantly whinging about how I do my job, demanding I do new things [which are always guaranteed to lighten my workload and in reality add to it]... sick of it.

This weekend I will be completing 120 feedback sheets for my classes, individualised and personalised ... not because the kids need it but because I was told to.... UTTER WASTE OF TIME! [yes I am angry about it]*

* and I have to do these every two weeks. :mad:

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

They're starting to sound desperate.

It's like nothing's working.

I love being part-time though.

Jamvic, install and agathamorse like this.
  9. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

Part-time is great of you can afford it and if you actually end up working part time. The government created the monster of planning, marking and feedback which now exists by insisting everything should be "evidenced" and not trusting teachers to manage their own classrooms.

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

This is the problem.....not p//t.
    The recruitment and retention crisis is so bad many schools will take p/t for a f/t job if you ask, as something is better than nothing.
    I'm p/t and have been for a few years. Never had a problem securing p/t work.
    But all this carp above needs to go. Marking, data, emails. All of it.
    When I began teaching email hadn't been invented and we all got on fine because no-one sent us hundreds of carp emails about nothing, and parents let schools do their job.

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

"Outdated attitudes?"

Far from it. It's the new fangled "I'm in charge, you will do what I tell you and I'm scared shyteless that Ofsted will criticise me personally so I'm leaving a massive paper trail of stuff I've got other people to do"

e.g.

--

These aren't old fashioned attitudes at all, they are more modern attitudes, it's in more recent years that the out of classroom activities have expanded hugely. Ironically it's often planning, the part that matters most, that goes by the wayside under the workload and teachers deliver what they have already rather than devise something new and better. Having the time to do much lesson writing in most of the school year is a long lost concept, I was going to say "luxury", but it really should be part of what teachers are doing all the time.

I used to use the summer term gained time to improve lessons, re-write modules etc. the last few years before I left it just wasn't possible. just as I was about to start, some ridiculous dictat would come from SMT and time had to spent on some long winded and utterly useless task to tick a few Ofsted boxes instead.

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I have never worked part time .From my experience though the level and amount of collaboration and communication between colleagues can be intense and fraught with difficulties and can just create more headaches for the line manager involved- sometimes the students actually lose out. No not to be encouraged from my perspective ...

Jamvic, racroesus and JohnJCazorla like this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Because we can't get staff we have to take on people who turn out to be unsuitable.

This September we took on a teacher on a year's contract. I knew the teacher concerned from a previous school and also knew of their poor attendance record.

I felt it was duty to point this out but they were hired anyway.

Up until the end of last week the attendance of that teacher during the last term and a half has been about 50%

Since the week after we got back from the xmas holiday - 0%.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The Tories are not interested in state education - I don't think anything will ever convince me otherwise.

Conditions now as compared to 10 years ago - well......

Ivartheboneless and Jamvic like this.
  15. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Exactly! Well said. These are the main reasons I got out of teaching earlier than I would have done otherwise.

The time to do the genuinely important parts of the role was eroded to such a degree that it became impossible to do anything well. It got to a point where quality forward planning, knowledgable teaching and knowing your students’ needs were treated as superfluous, secondary aspects of the job. It was as if only ‘amusingly outdated’ or unambitious teachers really cared about this sort of stuff anymore.

Add to that the fact that the hours of pointless work you ended up doing to comply with new dictats, initiatives, scrutinies and data juggling (introduced & altered practically every term by the ever changing members of SMT) was invariably a waste of time as they were repeatedly abandoned for other shiny new ‘SMT CV filler’ ideas.

Throw in public/government disdain, lack of pay portability, bi-yearly curriculum and examination changes, the need to extensively support unqualified or ill equipped ITT/NQT’s/Teach First staff, experienced long term colleagues off with WRS leading to an increasing reliance on a revolving door of supply staff, the expectation that you should use your own (unpaid) time for more and more student ‘interventions’, revision or holiday sessions, ever increasing pastoral commitments and the job becomes literally untenable for any sane person to do effectively.

16. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Agreed. Or... Look to get an SLT job, it's the only way to control workload but then your are truly part of the problem in that much of your role is holding the whip hand over others to do the untenable.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think things were bad under Labour as well. Lesson plans and marking were bad then from what I read. NI being different to some extent. I think it was more the influence of the Great Inspector. Also the Brain Gym, multiple intelligences, learning styles and reptilian brain advocates on top of dodgy biology.

needabreak and emerald52 like this.
  18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Being in SLT didn't reduce my work load but added to it.

Mermaid7 likes this.
  19. install

install Star commenter

Mmm...don't some ceos/ hts / slt work.part-time in reality? In some schools you never ever see them on Fridays or at the beginning or end of the day. Perhaps they dustrust part-timers in some schs because they view it sadly as shirking :cool:

20. MustaphaMondeo

MustaphaMondeo Occasional commenter

Typical divisive victim blaming Tory methodology.

SLT just think up stuff for fun do they?

A_Million_Posts and install like this.