1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher requesting career break for spring and summer terms

Discussion in 'Governors' started by ahalloway1, Jun 9, 2011.

1. A teacher has asked for 2 terms off and then to come back to their current post. Perhaps this is classed as a sabbatical??

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Paid or unpaid?
    No-one has an entitlement to a sabbatical or time off, paid or unpaid, unless it is in their contract of employment or their employer's policies. Your school might permit staff to take a sabbatical if that is allowed for in one of the governing body's policies. The first thing to look at is the relavant governors policy for your school. It'll probably be at governors discretion if it exists at all. I sincerly hope no school would allow staff to take a paid sabbatical just to have an extended holiday at taxpayers expense although it might be justified if the sabbatical was to undertake research or similar which would directly benefit the teaching and learning in the school when the teacher returned.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

A friend has just been granted 6 weeks UNPAID leave to teach at a linked school in Africa. There was no suggestion at all that this might be paid, nor did she expect it-the school can hardly be expected to support two teachers for the period, despite the objective of the leave being "worthy" I certainly wouldn't expect paid leave for anything less Unpaid leave, whilst less expensive can be disruptive-any class that can manage with a substitute teacher for a couple of terms is an unusual one.

4. Hi If you mean by a career break – i.e. a break to go off and do something else and then come back and resume you job, then as far as I am aware there is no requirement to agree to a career break, but depending on what it is for (e.g. to do voluntary work overseas) it may be that the school would benefit from giving a member of staff a career break. Several years ago in partnership with the VSO the NGA produced a joint document titled Retaining and developing staff: A governors’ guide to sabbaticals for teachers, which provided some guidance on this issue. A PDF of the booklet can be obtained from the NGA, email governorhq@nga.org.uk