1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher refuses to acknowledge I am there

Discussion in 'US – Staffroom' started by mom2kt2008, Apr 6, 2018.

1. I’m a teachers assistant in a self contained classroom. There are ten students with different disabilities. I’ve been at this workplace for four months and it started well. The teacher and I seemed to get along and she gave me a lot of responsibilities.
    Lately, though, I’ve been invisible. Where I would help one child with writing - now she does it. Where I would hand out folders - now she does it.
    There are a lot of behavioral issues in the class, and I know it doesn’t help that the students don’t listen to me. I feel like it’s my fault this is happening.
    It is no secret she would rather have another TA in there - one she has worked with for three years who was moved before I started. I really don’t know what to do anymore. I’m trying to reach out to these kids, and the teacher has challenged me to think up ways to help them, but I have tapped flat on my face.
    How do I deal with this? I’m worried about losing my job.

cys2017 likes this.
  2. hoosier11

hoosier11 New commenter

If you have to, make an appointment as a parent might. Get face to face, be bold, and talk it out. You have already let the problem go too long and even escalate. Now.........get to work!

phlogiston and cys2017 like this.
  3. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

I think it’s important to let her know you would like more responsibility in the classroom maybe ask her before the lesson... like what will we be doing today? Is there anyone in particular you would like me to work with? And see what she say and act on that. However if she doesn’t give a specific response on what she wants you to do just walk around to each table and student and make sure they know what they’re doing.

Hope this helps, I realised you posted this a while back ..how’s things going now?

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

if she gets observed and fails to use you, she will fail the observation! She is supposed to be a professional and manage you her resources and you are one of them!

cys2017 likes this.
  5. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

Yes I agree this would certainly show a lack of professionalism in an observation.

6. bikermum39

bikermum39 New commenter

It sounds like she is very insecure. Maybe she is being judged as an ineffective teacher so she is trying to prove she can do it all. It’s not your fault there is bad behaviour in the class room she’s the boss in the classroom so the buck stops with her, that’s what she gets paid for!

alyssastallent and cys2017 like this.
  7. alyssastallent

alyssastallent New commenter

I agree with comentators, teacher who don't have respect is bad teacher

8. I think you need to talk straight to her and ask for her teacher's advice. She definitely will be pleased, or notice you, at least! Maybe she's just challenging you to see how much pressure you can manage.

9. dharmabhum1960

dharmabhum1960 New commenter

Work on improving the relationship. Tactfully ask if you have done something wrong? You may have to humble yourself to get her to open up. Honestly tell her you're looking for constructive feedback so you can do the best job possible. Focus on the meeting the needs of the students first. let me know what happens. All the best