1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher refuses to acknowledge I am there

Discussion in 'US – Staffroom' started by mom2kt2008, Apr 6, 2018.

1. I’m a teachers assistant in a self contained classroom. There are ten students with different disabilities. I’ve been at this workplace for four months and it started well. The teacher and I seemed to get along and she gave me a lot of responsibilities.
    Lately, though, I’ve been invisible. Where I would help one child with writing - now she does it. Where I would hand out folders - now she does it.
    There are a lot of behavioral issues in the class, and I know it doesn’t help that the students don’t listen to me. I feel like it’s my fault this is happening.
    It is no secret she would rather have another TA in there - one she has worked with for three years who was moved before I started. I really don’t know what to do anymore. I’m trying to reach out to these kids, and the teacher has challenged me to think up ways to help them, but I have tapped flat on my face.
    How do I deal with this? I’m worried about losing my job.

2. hoosier11

hoosier11 New commenter

If you have to, make an appointment as a parent might. Get face to face, be bold, and talk it out. You have already let the problem go too long and even escalate. Now.........get to work!