1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher Redundancy

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jobless1, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Looking at the recent deluge of changes that Gove is puttng, I was wondering how teacher redundancy works?!

As an ICT teacher who teaches to A Level I am wondering when I will be out of the job?!
    Can this really happen?!?

2. Looking at the recent deluge of changes that Gove is puttng, I was wondering how teacher redundancy works?!

As an ICT teacher who teaches to A Level I am wondering when I will be out of the job?!
    Can this really happen?!?

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Of course it can happen. Whether it will happen will depend on any number of factors, which we don't have access to. Is A level ICT on a particularly strong footing currently within your school? How do options work for GCSE? and so on and so on...
    It would likely take some time for the changes to filter through and for Heads to be in a position to predict the number of teachers needed for a particular subject. It would be surprising if large scale redundancies (as a result of recent changes) took effect before the end of this academic year.
    It works the same as redundancy elsewhere: If there is a reduction in the amount of work to be done then an employer may make redundancies.