1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher recruitment - lowering the bar?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Jan 30, 2018.

1. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

This is simply common sense. Kids are society's investment in the future, and as in all areas a wise man invests in the most promising prospects. We invest the most effort and resources in those students we feel are going to give the most back to society.
    Having said this, of course, the current model isn't fit for purpose. The least academic kids should be steered towards vocational careers and allowed to leave school early to go into apprenticeships. And,actually, many of them would then end up earning a much better salary than their teachers: and probably making a much more valuable contribution to society than many teachers.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  2. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

Well , as someone who isnt really "properly qualified", I am not in a position to say much. However, I have noticed over recent years we have been delivered of students who do not seem very willing to teach. My school currently has one who has made her timetable up of mostly observation. She will have taught a weeks worth of lessons by the time she completes. Yet she will complete and she no doubt will get passed. She has lots of "attitude" though ( entitlement, know everything, can tell me all bout teaching, is nosy beyond belief and frankly, I wouldnt want her teaching my kids - like do many of the students I have seen over recent times).

At least she isnt Dyslexic and trying to teach English or Autistic and cannot even make eye contact etc . ( I know some will say there should not be barriers to teaching- diversity and all that).

As for qualifications, I dont know, what is needed these days beyond the mirror /breath test?

I have been teaching now for over 20 years. Have seen many a difficult school, many an ofsted and even a couple olf ISI inspections. Are these people better qualified and able than me? It would seem so as no doubt I will be on the " to be replaced list" by virtue of age, shortly - if I just dont leave first.

3. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I may be being very naive, but she can't pass her NQT year like that, so may well be one of the 'leavers' that seem to make up so many of the new teachers.

Have to say, I was wondering if we worked at the same school for a sec, as we have exactly the same thing going on at ours.

4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I mentored one on his second placement with me. He refused to show me lesson plans. Oxford first, dontcha know, so he was above 'the mundanity of the lesson plan.' Wonder how he'd have coped in my last school. Probably a shareholder now!

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

6. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Established commenter

8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

It's all part of the scheme to get anybody with a pulse and who is cheap in front of a class. Desperate? Yes. Increase applicants? Yes. Both parts of the same problem.

catbefriender likes this.
  9. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

Priceless comment:)

Shedman likes this.
  10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

This banner appears at the top of my screen when on TES:

upload_2018-2-17_18-25-10.png

If Essex are short of teachers then let them advertise for teachers - why just newly qualified?

Do these chicks know the reason?

upload_2018-2-17_18-32-32.png

12. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

In invitation from Essex County Council to sign up for a 'one-year-career'.

MarieAnn18 and slingshotsally like this.