1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher recruitment - lowering the bar?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...ners-ordered-rethink-entry-standards-maximise

DfE reveals 50,000 teacher training applications rejected last year
    Teacher trainer providers have been told they will be checked to see if they are rejecting suitable candidates – after a drastic drop in applications.

Nick Gibb, minister for school standards, has written to initial teacher training providers today saying that the initial teacher training (ITT) criteria will be changed to: “encourage universities and schools to assess candidates on their potential to meet the teachers’ standard by the end of their training.”

He adds that providers will be required to show what steps they are taking to maximise recruitment.

'Support and develop'
    The letter from Mr Gibb states: “We are amending our ITT criteria and Ofsted is making a number of minor changes to the ITE (initial teacher education) inspection handbook. It is right to reject candidates who are not suitable.

"However, it is also crucial to support and develop those who have the desire and talent to teach. The emphasis must be on assessing applicants based on their suitability to train to teach, rather than whether they are ready to teach at the point of entry.”

It goes on to add that: “Over the course of this recruitment cycle, we will continue to scrutinise our data to judge whether there are any institutions that have particularly high rejection rates in priority subjects. Should we have concerns about the levels at which universities and school-centred teacher trainers are rejecting priority subject candidates, my officials would like to discuss these with the relevant organisation as we are aware that the data can only tell us so much.”

Nick - pay teachers fairly, improve their working conditions and get Ofsted off their backs and then you might retain some of those teachers that your department is currently spending millions of pounds a year to recruit!

2. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

'Amending our ITT criteria' 'Ofsted is making a number of minor changes......' '.......assessing candidates on suitability to teach to train to teach, rather than.......ready......at the point of entry'

I have no words here. :rolleyes:

3. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Words like scraping the barrel or retaining the sediment you threw away last year just in case we can get another bottle of plonk out of it.
    Sounding a bit desperate, even from the DFE.

4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Scary as it may be in education, let's hope they don't extend the same principle to ease the staffing crisis in the nhs.

5. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

If only they (DFE) had shown due diligence to experienced teachers forced out of the job we would not be in this mess.

6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Lowering the qualifications needed will help justify lowering the salary.

7. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

The bar has already been lowered quite drastically. I've experience of training someone who achieved a C at GCSE Maths to be a Maths teacher.

8. slstrong123

slstrong123 New commenter

"It is right to reject candidates who are not suitable". Well that's what has been happening, they're NOT suitable!! Just because you want to teach (or shall I say, you want a job as a teacher) doesn't mean you will be any good at it. So, we used to have to have a degree in a relevant subject or successfully complete a subject knowledge enhancement course (plus passed English, Maths and Science) before we even started PGCE or ITT. Are these unnecessary? If I wanted to be a doctor, could I become one without going to medical school? Gobsmacked!!! I think I will go and hide in my classroom and hope someone (!!) gets a grip on reality...

9. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Well, unkind as it may seem, when I was doing my PGCE it looked as if the bottom of the barrel was already being scraped. So it's frightening to think what kind of teachers we will have if standards are lowered further. But I suppose as long as they are dirt cheap and do what SLT tells them, without question, then that's fine.

num3bers, aspen_1, stonerose and 2 others like this.
  10. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

The inevitable conclusion of all of this is that soon you will not need to have a degree to be a teacher.

11. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

I’ve got to be straight here - as a university course and SD uni partner we are all a bit bemused by Mr Crisis What Crisis Gibb's letter.

Do we take idiots who shouldn’t be in the classroom? No. Nor do the schools.
    Do we expect them to be able to teach straight away? No. We and the schools train them up first.
    Do we expect some subject knowledge or an SKE at the very least? Oh yes, and possibly we err on the side of caution a bit there. They do need to actually know something about the subject to teach it.
    Do we reject many for lack of subject knowledge? No. Rarely. They self select to be honest. And if they are a bit short we get them a placement in a partner school and an SKE before they start.

So what is he on about?
    And what are these minor changes?

My insiders tell me that unlike Gove he isn’t enamoured of the school centred providers and their preference for the 'oven ready' trainee. I await this 'tweaking' of the criteria but I’m unaware of any uni course rejecting lots of priority subject applicants.

Pomza, stonerose, JL48 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

When things get bad enough they will!

stonerose likes this.
  13. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Nail hit firmly on head!

stonerose likes this.
  14. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

15. catbefriender

catbefriender Senior commenter

Nothing wrong with being a Maths teacher with only a GCSE grade C, if the trainee then knocked themselves out to get their Maths ability further to at least to a Level 3 standard which is needed to teach up to Higher Tier GCSE competently and gets a certificate to show this. I know of a Head of Maths with just a GCSE.

Maths is a subject many students dread and the more Maths you know, the more creative you can be in lessening the dread for the students. What I hate is that in some schools the downright hopeless are put in charge of teaching the weakness students, when the best teachers are needed for students of every ability.

Gsr25, Shedman and stonerose like this.
  16. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

The person in question was useless, it was like teaching a poor year 9 student, not helping someone brush up on their subject knowledge. They didn't even know their time tables.

stonerose and JL48 like this.
  17. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Hmm - I assume that they didn't teach A level.

While having some teachers without degrees in their subjects is ok at a push, it's a bit worrying when you have whole departments, or even areas of the country, without a teacher that has studied their subject at university.

18. catbefriender

catbefriender Senior commenter

No the HOD in Maths with only a GCSE in Maths is teaching at Level 3 and the children aren't doing well.

stonerose likes this.
  19. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

That means some provider has assessed them to be suitable for QTS. There is consternation about AO at the moment. We insist on 50% of degree etc. However, some unscrupulous providers have put together a two year school based course and then use a provider to badge their graduates with QTS. There is no quality control or inspection of the course as it doesn’t lead to QTS, only the badging does.

Every applicant is interviewed by an experienced and qualified subject tutor for our courses, so even if they have an A Level, a degree (unrelated), experience, and a potential SKE, they still have their knowledge questioned in a one to one situation.

But who is to say one of these school based MAT providers are doing the same due diligence? Every trainee is worth money...

Stiltskin likes this.
  20. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

I know of someone like this. I'm hoping it's the same person!