1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher recruitment down by a third

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I have had the same experience. Many school managements go beyond this and begrudge the teacher their tenth of a penny!

2. unfoggingblogger

unfoggingblogger Occasional commenter

It's almost as if degree debts of around 60k have put aspirational youngsters off a career in education.

On the flip side, us remaining teachers are worth our weight in gold these days. We certainly have more bargaining power than we used to. Also, when was the last time you remember more than one person interviewing for a job?

3. Jolly_Roger1

That does not seem to be happening, though. There are many older, experienced teachers looking for work, who schools will not employ, except as 'volunteers'.

slingshotsally likes this.
  4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

You couldn't be more wrong! You base this on the assumption that SLT care about the education of their students. They don't! As has been going on for a long time now, those who get recruited are the young, the cheap and the manageable. Subject knowledge, and ability to teach it is very low down in the list of recruitment priorities.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Not true - it depends on what you teach and where you are.

6. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

We had five qualified teachers apply for one post recently... for a Teaching Assistant job. Reminds me of those "Love Europe, hate the EU" car stickers that were in vogue a few years ago. Perhaps an education version, "Love teaching, hate being a teacher"?

JohnJCazorla and Alice K like this.
  7. Jolly_Roger1

If you teach science and live in London, it is true!

unfoggingblogger likes this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Because, from a ‘website hotties’ and financial viewpoint, they’re outstanding..

9. Mrsmumbles

You got the last three words right!

10. Mrsmumbles

Most are below min wage. Two on now in my town at 18k a year. Take the usual ten k off for tax, that makes a rubbish 8k a year. We would be bette off cleaning. It’s a disgrace and we all deserve the shame of cover supervisors as we didn’t go out on full strike to stop this happening. Welcome to Thickie Britain.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

Yes! Haha ha. Ha!

12. Mrsmumbles

EXACTLY right on the independents joining the ageism brigade. W headband three 24 year olds join as i was being bullied out. This was a top private school, to my shame. These teachers were bright but certainly not amazing. They had abysmal class control and yet they simply had to break wind or utter yet another crassly naive comment and be hailed not as Noam Chomsky. It’s so hurtful and unfair and, as you see, it creates departmental divides.

13. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

my daughter is in her final year of uni and some of her friends have applied for pgce posts. My daughter, having had many chats with me, is resolute in steering clear of this dreadful idea. She has regaled her friends with some of my stories but they either don't believe her or are masochists.

If I'd known teaching was going to end up like this I'd have never gone into it. I will never suggest it as a career to anyone, not even my worst enemy.

14. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Have you seen the bursaries for next year? "2:2 in geography? Here, have £26k. 2:2 in maths? How about £30k?"

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/funding-and-salary/overview

15. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

16. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

For maths I think there are conditions attached to 10k of that amount, like a golden handshake. For the rest, and other subjects, just till the end of the PGCE.

PeterQuint likes this.
  17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Much as I agree with the majority of your posts Mrs Mumbles I think your assertion that they will take 10k in tax off an 18k salary is a little wide of the mark. Assuming a tax code of 1150L you would only pay 20% tax on 18000 - 115000 = £6500 pounds. At 20% income tax that's .2 x 6500 = £1300. If you then add NICs, it's not going to come to more than about £2500.

Mrsmumbles and SomethingWicked like this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The kids will take the money and then bail out as soon as possible.

Mrsmumbles, yodaami2 and JL48 like this.
  19. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Once they see what it's actually like, probably.

My guess is that they don't really believe the stories. Most don't.

yodaami2 likes this.
  20. bounceback

bounceback Occasional commenter

Sadly lots don't believe the stories - youthful optimism I suppose. However, some do - I have younger relations that would never set foot in a school.
    It's sad to see many young teachers become disillusioned very quickly, but i suppose the quicker reality hits them , the better chance they have of getting into another career at a young age.