1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher recruitment down by a third

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@David Getling: I, too, wonder about the subject knowledge of some science teachers, especially in physics and chemistry. Not infrequently, when tutoring students, I find myself saying to them, "Whoever told you that?" Admittedly, sometimes students misunderstand what they hear in class but the same things keep coming up. Often, student problems stem (no pun intended) from either having difficult concepts poorly explained to, or simply told things that are wrong.

Student teachers and NQTs would come to me for advice, as the 'great uncle' of the department, as they could do so without it getting back to their mentors. In the last decade or so of my teaching career, their problems seemed to be more with what to teach, rather then how to teach it. My mind boggled when I found myself explaining GCSE level science to people who had degrees in the subject.

Alldone likes this.
  2. silkywave

silkywave Senior commenter

So my subject is DT and after the changes to the exam specification there will be even less wanting to teach it.
    67% down on previous year, which is presumably down on the previous and previous year ? Go onto the DT forum. It's like the Marie Celeste.

3. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Well if you are going to teach an expensive subject to resource, what do you expect? ;)

Ideally there should be a small room with 30 kids sitting in rows, maybe an IWB in front, and one 23 year old teacher. Anything that diverts from that is expensive, and to be discouraged.

I've heard that some 'good' or even 'outstanding' schools are cutting down significantly on A level time as they cannot afford or find the Science teachers to deliver the full course. My thought was how can a school be anything other than 'Requires Improvement' if that's the case?

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I wasn't wrong:

The Department for Education said applications opened a week later in 2017 than in 2016, "so it wouldn't be right to draw direct parallels" between the two years' figures.

A spokeswoman said: "There are now a record number of teachers in our schools –15,500 more than in 2010 – and the fact that more than 32,000 new trainee teachers have recently been recruited in a competitive labour market, with historic low unemployment rates and a growing economy, shows that the profession continues to be an attractive career.

chelsea2 and sabrinakat like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Teaching is such an attractive profession in my school that we have no NQTs and no PGCE students this year.

....and despite a year long search we cannot recruit an IT teacher.

Mrsmumbles, Shedman and tonymars like this.
  6. silkywave

silkywave Senior commenter

It is an attractive career. Weeks and weeks of school holidays with no school work to do. Finishing at any time after 3 o’clock. Breaks and lunchtime to eat, drink or shop or however you need to in the time. Children or clients who a biddable. You don’t even need a degree or any professional qualification. Everyone knows how to teach ( or babysit. ) as everyone has been to school and knows the ropes. Surely there is no problem recruiting ? Just lie about.

7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I'm DT too and it was the new spec that finally convinced me to retire. I've posted many comments on these forums that the new DT specs are so content heavy, full of incredibly diverse and basically boring stuff that there is little room for worthwhile practical work. List learning!

An engineering or product design graduate will not have the knowledge to teach the courses as they stand because they are so diverse whereas with other subjects if you have, say, a physics degree you can teach the physics spec but there are no university courses that cover the range of topics covered in the new GCSE technology courses. That's going to put recruits off straight away having to learn a whole lot of new stuff to be able to teach. The modules are intensely boring and tedious too - papers and board, types of timber, finishes, yawn, yawn, yawn.

Ex-teacher likes this.
  8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Only 30?

9. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Sounds cheap to me :)
    Hmm - almost as if someone with no idea about education wrote them? Toby Young turning his hand to the DT curriculum maybe?
    So the government statistics tell us. :rolleyes:

10. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

The school I'm doing long-term supply at has got Science lessons for up to 60 in years 10 and 11. Apparently it's going okay so far but I'm looking forward to those late Jan/early Feb sickies when I'll be asked to just cover a lesson or two with these top sets and the words "Read Pages 29-30 and answer all questions".

11. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Uh huh. Of course it is . . . :rolleyes:

12. JohnJCazorla

I should have said this only started on Wednesday......... so I'm right on this point.

13. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Sorry - think I got the wrong end of the stick.

14. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

, The school I'm doing long term supply at has got Science lessons for up to 60.'

JJ you must be kidding surely. Even I didn't things had got so bad. How do they all fit into a classroom?

15. JohnJCazorla

No need to apologise, especially as you've been on the right end of the stick throughout this thread.
    No kidding. It's 2 adjacent classrooms with a sliding partition between them. Considering that it's a bottom-end school with low-level disruption as standard I can't imagine how they can be controlled (let alone taught) by a teacher. Also when it comes to practicals then err.....? But it's all okay after 2 days:)

16. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher New commenter

As previously mentioned, I'm with you, Shedders!

As an aside, now is the time to be a DT supply teacher. I've had 4 schools email me asking if I can "fill in", in one case indefinitely. Not really sure how they got my email address. Unfortunately I'm currently where the weather is hot, the sun is shining, and the stress levels zilch!

17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Stay there!

Ex-teacher and Moony like this.
  18. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I get similar for science but all of them lose interest rapidly when I ask if they are going to pay me.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The plus side is that it gives a bit more job security to those of us still in post.

20. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Being a school teacher used to be a really secure profession. Alas, no more.