1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher recruitment down by a third

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/teacher-recruitment-down-a-third

If the government even bother to respond to this finding I can guarantee their response will be:The number of teachers in classrooms is at a record level. There are 15.000 more teachers since we took office in 2010.

Numbers of teachers is only one part of the story, their experience and effectiveness also needs to be considered. A perfect storm on teacher recruitment seems to be brewing caused by:
    1. Workload
    2. Unrealistic expectations
    3. Minimal pay increases lower than inflation - pay cuts
    4. The MAT shambles
    5. Ever changing exam specs
    6. Gove's contempt for the teaching profession
    7. The 'blame teachers' culture
    No doubt colleagues can add to the list.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Brexit won't encourage those French, Spanish, German etc teachers I worked with to come (or stay...)

TCSC47, eljefeb90, phlogiston and 4 others like this.
  3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Don't forget there's little to no life in the work life balance.

4. thekillers

thekillers Established commenter

Unrealistic targets.

Shedman and Moony like this.
  5. binaryhex

binaryhex Senior commenter

The O/P's original list missed out children's behaviour.

Most schools' are unwilling to tackle it head on these days. They invariably have a gutless, overpaid SLT or one which prefers making excuses for children's behaviour rather than setting firm boundaries and enforcing them. Why would any 20 something take on a career where they spend 12 hours a day working, and then seven or eight hours of the 12 dealing with kids who know they can tell you to f-off, or can accuse you of anything and not face any consequences themselves, where kids can constantly get phones out, talk across you, get out of their seats, shout out anything etc etc without any consequences? 20 somethings know what teaching really is like thanks to posts on places like TES. Until workload, behaviour and pay changes, recruitment will be a problem.

6. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

The light switch and early pension release buttons are over there on the right. Up a bit...no, now down a bit. Yep. That’s it. Cheers. :0)

7. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It breaks it down by subject here:

English, maths and science teacher training applications all drop by a quarter

The data showed that:
    • The biggest drops were in citizenship and design and technology (systems control), both of which had applications fall by 67 per cent between December 2016 and December 2017.
    • The number of applicants wanting to teach English fell by 25 per cent.
    • Maths applications fell by 28 per cent.
    • Science applications fell by 23 per cent.
    • History was particularly hard hit, with a drop of 46 per cent in the number of applications.
    • There were 52 per cent fewer applicants for social science this year.
    • And 47 per cent fewer people were interested in teaching psychology.
    • Music also had a large decrease in applicants, by 45 per cent.
    • Art (including art and design) received 37 per cent fewer applicants than last year.
    • Applicants to teach European languages fell by 27 per cent.
    • French was the European language worst affected, with a drop of 29 per cent.
    • Only one subject had an increase in the number of applicants. The number of applications for ICTrose from 10 in 2016 to 20 this year: an increase of 100 per cent.
    • The number of applications for special educational needs teaching remained the same.

8. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

Sorry to puncture any new year optimism but here's a question:

Is retention really a problem (other than for teachers)?

Has anyone heard of Disaster Capitalism?

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  9. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

I didn't think of that. I've agreed for years with the left-wing view that the NHS is being ruined for privatisation to take over but despite being a teacher since 1988 I haven't really taken the same view re education. Worryingly I can't think of any half-decent argument that will make my mind easier on that point:(

Hang on:)
    Retention is a problem for the capitalist system though. It means that supply (like me) and supply agencies can charge a fortune to replace these absent teachers. Given that money, money, money is the only measure that counts then that can't help.

10. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Another contributory factor are tuition fees. I find there is less take-up of arts/humanities degrees in general: after all, if you'e looking at an absolute minimum of £27,000 (for the tuition fees alone) debt, then a degree in English Lit doesn't seem like an attractive option. In the past, those arts/humanities graduates who were a little directionless used to drift into teaching and a lot were successul (not all, mind!). So: less graduates in general combined with a less-than-attractive teaching profession is, in part, contributing to this issue. There is also quite a lot of data about fewer university students coming from less well off backgrounds; which again was a common background for teachers (Working to lower middle class).

lulu57, bessiesmith, Landofla and 2 others like this.
  11. tonymars

JJ. If you are making an ok living out of supply teaching, good for you. It appears from these forums, however, that many are not and it costs less for schools to use zero hours, non pensioned supply teachers.

I agree about the NHS but it's not only that, is it? Look around maybe join up a few dots.

12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I'm surprised. It's been a topic of conversation on these threads before.
    Until AI takes over.
    No. The police and prison services are gradually being replaced by G4, and it looks as though we may go back to the Victorian system of Fire Insurance.

13. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

The 'shortages of professionals' in the public sector are, I think, legend rather than reality. There is a 'recruitment and retention crisis. in teaching' while at the same time a sizable numbers of qualified teachers cannot find work. My wife works in hospital admin, and reports that the same is true of nursing radiology technicians, etc. We have friends whose daughter trained as a nurse, and several years after qualifying, she cannot get a permanent job, just agency work and short-term contracts. Perhaps this is why organisations like the NHS are worried about the loss of EU staff, after Brexit; 'home-grown' professionals will be looking for permanent jobs, not short-term 'gigs'.

num3bers and tonymars like this.
  14. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Occasional commenter

Perhaps it's because they want to role back the clock to a time when teachers were not 'professionals'. That they don't need a higher level education and that you learn some skills on the job and follow a script/pattern (so no autonomy) and once you have the hang of that there's no need for ongoing development. Then you have a much larger workforce to choose from, and as such don't need to pay as much which means more profit?

15. HotskyForTrotsky

HotskyForTrotsky New commenter

That's assuming that the capitalists are looking to make money out of the schools and not in areas like recruitment.

You've also got the argument that a recruitment crisis would allow for more academies, who don't require QTS in their staff, and therefore can hire at a lower base salary and keep rotating the drop outs every year or so when they have no preparation or expectation of what's going to be going on. Any 21 year old with a degree and no job would consider teaching if you didn't need a PGCE and it offered a ~£20K starting salary, at least for a few years. Quality of teaching goes down, but so do staff costs.

tonymars and JohnJCazorla like this.
  16. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@Stiltskin & @HotskyForTrotsky: Like the 'monitorial system' of the 19th century. :(. I suppose the logical conclusion of having such low-skilled 'teachers' is to replace them with interactive teaching machines, which is even cheaper. I sometimes think that the Govt has given up on the idea of universal education. Why waste money on highly skilled teachers to educate a generation for which there will be few jobs? Just give them the basics and keep them off the streets for as long as possible.

Stiltskin and JohnJCazorla like this.
  17. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

There are schools that do this already. It required highly scripted classes, and a knowledge rich curriculum. The turnover rate is typically 1 to 2 years.

It should be added that the quality of education is highly questionable.

18. tonymars

JR: 'Why waste money on highly skilled teachers to educate a generation for which there will be few jobs.'

Sadly, I fear you may have hit the nail on the head there.

19. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

On a fairly regular basis, in maths, chemistry and physics, I see examples of the most appalling (I hesitate to call it) teaching. And I explain it to my students thus:
    1. If you are any good at these subjects then there is a nice private industry job waiting for you, where you will be paid vastly more. Also, you will be valued and probably find your work much more interesting and far less stressed. So, with the odd exception, only the desperate and useless, who can't get a real job go into teaching.
    2. There are, as has already been stated, plenty of older very capable teachers out there. But the schools won't employ them for two main reasons. Firstly, they are a lot more expensive. Secondly, and maybe more importantly, SLT want a how high? when you are told to jump. Young NQTs and Teach First cannon fodder are much more obliging in this respect. Yes, it really is a case of paying peanuts and getting a young monkey who can be trained to dance to SLT's tune.
    And long may recruiting decent STEM teachers continue to decline, so that people like me, who SLT detest, can make a good living tutoring nice kids who want to learn and appreciate them.

20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

And look how large the drops are in subjects which are no longer 'valued' by the E-Bacc (music, art, DT, psychology).

LOVE the fact that there are 20 people wanting to teach IT this year - that'll help the shortage!! :)

schoolsout4summer likes this.