1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher questionnaire

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by blizzard, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Do you have a teacher questionnaire that you send out to staff to find out how they are feeling and aid your self evaluation?
    I know the new Ofsted will be sending out a questionnaire to teachers - but what sort of thing are they asking?
    Thanks for any ideas.
    B

2. By "teachers" I assume you mean "staff", as teachers aren't the only ones employed in schools....?!

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/inspection-questionnaire-for-school-staff

3. Oh thank you - yes I meant staff.
    However, I am specifically thinking about the 'teachers' in my school at the moment, as a new head. But am planning to send something to all the staff later in the year.
    Thanks.
    B

4. Can offer you a couple of stress surveys if you mean how they're feeling in that sort of way?

5. I used the OFSTED staff survey and ask the staff to complete it online having used the questions in the free survey tool 'survey monkey' www.surveymonkey.com (although you only get ten questions if you use the free version). Having all the staff answer was really useful - the teachers we're vey happy, the TA's felt undervalued about their lack of structured CDP - which I've since addressed. However, shows the value of including all staff as they often have very different experiences.

6. Wow how radical. In fifteen years of teaching I've never been asked how I'm feeling. Now I work at a school where if you express an opinion contradictory to the heads you are being negative. The staff are too scared to speak their minds and they are being worked to death. I've resigned as I've lost all respect and I'm finding it difficult to reign in my opinions. The sad thing is the children at the school are fantastic and they deserve the very best. All they are getting is a load of depressed and exhausted teaching force. Its such a waste.

7. R13

R13 New commenter

You've worked at the wrong schools popples - loads of us run anonymous questionnaires to staff and have well being surveys to use the views of staff to help move things forward. Even OFSTED do a confidential staff survey when they last came in, and they are miles behind the times!

8. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

At my previous school, we had had a few issues and the result was an impact survey on the staff. To cut a very long story short, there were allegations, suspensions and subsequent disciplinaries for senior staff - outcome of no case to answer (BESD special school, not mainstream) The impact on the staff at the school was horrendous. We were beyond exhausted and then the following academic year, we were ofsteded in the first term. How the hell we kept the school, let alone ourselves, going still astounds me.
    The head decided to do an impact survey, and we were all trying to be honest. It all fell on very deaf ears, and nothing more was said, ever, about it.
    There were other 'confidential' questionnaires that did the rounds. We as a staff were all incredibly wary of what we put in there. Due to the nature of the school, it was clear who had written what, and how people felt, it was a very small staff. Lets just say that the information was not necessarily used in the manner that we had been told it would be.
    I personally would be incredibly wary of any 'wellbeing' or 'how are things' questionnaire that headed my way, due to previous experience of that head, and how powerful they were, and experiences at the hands of that head and the management of that particular school.
    However, I do appreciate that it is one school, one head and one experience, but if staff feel that they are unable to say what they really feel, for whatever reason, you won't get a true representation of what is going on at the chalkface.
    B x

9. Such a shame some HT don't do this - how else do you really find out what people are thinking? Sure, you'll get one member of staff who uses the anonymity to give you a damn good kicking but that comes with the job. If most staff are unhappy you either have very lazy staff (unusual but not unheard of) or you as a HT are dragging people behind you in your glorious charge (more likely) or you've not spent the time explaining why a new initiative is worth doing and won hearts and minds (very likely). I'm not saying you bend to the will of any unhappy member of staff, but that if you don't ask, you'll never know!

10. I too use surveymonkey. Great for allowing staff to say anon how they are really feeling and also what is good/needs improving. But perhaps I shouldn't be concerned about their well being and job satisfaction according to Wilmshaw!

11. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

This is typical of the paranoid to see anything other slavish adherence to whatever they're spouting as the gospel, even though this week's whim is the direct opposite of last week's. Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You're_either_with_us,_or_against_us.