1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher Questionnaire - numicon

Discussion in 'Primary' started by workaholic1985, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Hi everyone

I am devising a questionnaire to give to teachers all about the system Numicon.

The questions i have already are:

1) What year/age range do you currently teach?

2) Had you heard of/used the system Numicon before September 2010

3) What were your first impressions of the Numicon system

4) What were your reservations about the Numicon system?

5) Do you think Numicon is appropriate for the age range you teach? Why?

6) What affect can you see Numicon having on children of a lower ability?

7) How do you think the Numicon system will fit alongside the Abacus Evolve

8) Will you be using Numicon with your children this academic year?
    Which children?
    Why/Why not?

9) Do you think Numicon has a place in older year groups? If so what year groups? And how could you see it being implemented?

Can you think of any other questions that i could ask? the purpose is to gather information to use as my dissertation

Many thanks

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Hello,
    Firstly I would find it useful to know the focus of your dissertation. Is it purely about Numicon or is this just part of it?
    Which teachers do you plan to ask to complete your questionnaire? Are you based in a school that uses Numicon or are you planning to ask anyone who's willing!
    Numicon is a multi-sensory resource rather than a 'system'. I would suggest focusing on how the structure of the resource might support understanding and what mathematical concepts does it support well or not so well. For example, it is great for supporting understanding of number bonds but not so good for subtraction.
    I would also suggest asking questions about any training teachers have received, both general and specific i.e. Closing the Gap intervention
    You might also want to find out more about the different resources provided and how they are used and who by. Numicon produce kits as well as the basic plates, so you could ask questions about that also.

Hope this helps,
    Carrie [​IMG]

3. Why choose Numicon when there are far better multi-sensory resources now available such as the Mathulator, that we are starting to use in my class next week, it does a mulitude of work that Numicon will never be able to do. It covers addition, subtraction, division, multiplication, ratio, proportion, percentages, fractions, place value, coordinates and shapes plus other areas.It even shows concepts in column methods

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Almost none of which are part of the FS/KS1 curriculum! Numicon is a hands on piece of equipment that can be used independently by children for almost all the number work they need in FS and KS1.

Would be keen to have a look though, do you have a link? Google took me to something not at all primary school based.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Thess any good?
    http://dawhois.com/site/mathulator.com.html
    http://www.12xtables.co.uk/Maths%20Manipulatives%20store/Mathulator.Add.On.Spare.bands.htm
    and on this site" Have you heard of the
    Mathulator ? it deepens pupils understanding of Mathematical
    concepts & improves test results.
    You can use their online version for free, by using drag n drop with
    your Interactive Whiteboard pens to replace the rubber bands used with
    the hands on boards
    " at
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Addition-activity-using-a-and-quot-Mathulator-and-quot-6309292/

6. Lara mfl 05

Did try sending a few links BUT because there's a few it's been sent to moderation. However there's someone in Resources who's posted something called "Addition activity using a "Mathulator" so do a quick search on here in Resources.
    edit Just noticed it's the person aka SQUIDLEY.
    Though from looking at the links the 'equipment' just looks like an old-fashioned pegboard!

7. Wonder why you are all replying to a 2 year old request.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL cos I had a quick skim and then replied to the last post...Didn't notice the dates!

9. Lara mfl 05

[​IMG] Neither did I minnie!