1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher pet hates

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sparkleghirl, Dec 5, 2018.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

#TeacherPetHates
    Threads that start with a link

Dragonlady30, bonxie, nomad and 5 others like this.
  3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Unless there's something else to go on I never follow the link.

bonxie and lindenlea like this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

'Water' bottles allowed in class. Often containing other stuff besides water and even when empty still a pain. I would love to strangle to person who sold schools the idea that pupils need to be hydrated to learn.

Alice K, catmother, lrw22 and 3 others like this.
  5. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Many still believe this idea of the need for constant hydration.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

In the school I am currently at the fashion is to pierce the top of the bottle with a compass so that the liquid can be sucked out through the hole or squirted into the mouth. Of course it also means that the bottle cannot be put in a bag because it will leak and also that it can be used as a water pistol. Even when empty there is hours of entertainment in sucking the air from the bottle and then letting it back in again!

7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Like a makeshift sports bottle?

8. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Kids who reach the end of a page and look completely confused and need direction about what to do in terms of the very complex and intricate procedure of turning the page over and continuing writing on the other side.

Glue sticks. Total absence of (see any month after about March)/the ones the kids have used and haven't put the lid fully on so they're now an uncooperative non-sticky mess/the year they tried to save money by ordering the cheap ones

BetterNow likes this.
  9. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

BetterNow, nomad, InkyP and 2 others like this.
  10. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Students who cannot see that a word won’t fit on the line they’re writing on, yet they try to, leading to it being continued on the next line. :mad: Just start the word on the next line. :mad:

11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Being told be a student to 'go and ask Mr ? or Mrs ?' Like I had the time to check with a colleague what a student had been doing! :mad:

12. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

Parents who bring poorly kids to school and tell them to tell you to phone if they want to go home and parent will come and collect them. Cue incessant whining and nagging ten minutes after parent has left. Either keep your child at home in the first place or have a quiet word with me to let me know child is not feeling well out of hearing of said child!!

Dragonlady30 and InkyP like this.
  13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Or 'he's had diarrhoea this morning, can you keep an eye on him please'.

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Teacher pet hates?
    BluTac that dwindles from behind posters by repeated mindless thievery.
    and
    Colleagues who use all the copy paper on a class set of booklets when all you were queuing for was a print out of a seating plan.
    and
    Children carrying a formal diagnosis for something, which you have always simply understood to be a integral part of being a difficult person.

Alice K likes this.
  15. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

"Children carrying a formal diagnosis for something, which you have always simply understood to be a integral part of being a difficult person."
    This - or the children whose "diagnosis" ought to be bad parenting. And then being expected to put it right, and blamed when you can't...

Alice K and peter12171 like this.
  16. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

At one point I had a rather challenging little boy in my Year 1 class. His mother took him to the doctor and the next day proudly declared that her son had 'syndrome', which she seemed rather pleased about!

mothorchid likes this.
  17. mothorchid

I remember once saying to a mother at parents' evening that her son was listed as having emotional and behavoiural difficulties. She asked if she could get a carer's allowance for that...

Alice K and BertieBassett2 like this.
  18. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Munchausers by Proxy springs to mind here. Over the years I've had so many parents desperate for their child to be labelled. I could never decide if this was to trigger some sort of benefit or to explain/exonerate their child's behaviour - or even both.

Alice K likes this.
  19. mothorchid

Interesting thought about Munchausen's. The parent in question was notorious, so probably not in that case, but I take your point.
    I am inclined to the idea that there are some parents who wish to exonerate their own behaviour, as well as that of the child. There are some who are genuinely in need of help, of course. The skill is in discerning which is which.

peter12171 and Alice K like this.
  20. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

My pet hate of the moment?
    The parent who says they'll look at the (overdue) homework at the weekend, but doesn't. Ever. And instructs me not to detain the child as it's not his fault. Then complains in writing to the head and the COG that my reports are picking on her son saying he doesn't do his homework.