1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher perspectives on teaching SRE

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lisalawrence_personal, May 27, 2017.

1. lisalawrence_personal

lisalawrence_personal New commenter

I hope you don't mind me asking here to get your opinions
    I am a researcher at Goldsmiths University in London, running a study into the ways digital media can be utilised to aid parents and educators in sex and relationship education with children and young people. I am looking for teachers who have taught SRE to take a short (less than 5 minute) survey. The aim of this branch of the research is to identify where teachers need more support in this area and how further resources can be developed to help them.

If you were able to spare a few minutes to benefit the research it would be a huge help in furthering the research and ensuring it actually reflects your opinions!

https://goo.gl/forms/1e8lpzoAKkbKb51n1

At the beginning there is a section which lets you know about the project if you are interested. All answers are completely anonymous, neither I the researcher, nor anyone else, will be able to see who you are.

Have a lovely bank holiday and half term everyone!

2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Is there anything offered in return?

3. lisalawrence_personal

Unfortunately not, this isn't a funded project and the survey is a very simple one taking less than 5 minutes. The benefit to you would simply be that the more responses we receive the more robust the study is, the more likely it is to represent your views and therefore help you and other teachers have more resources developed that actually benefit you. So whilst there isn't any kind of financial reward, I hope that for a few minutes of your time it might be worth it.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Took about 30 seconds to select answers, nowhere near 5 mins.

I teach in a single sex school, so had to say yes for boys and girls being separated for SRE, though if we were a mixed school they wouldn't be separated for all of it.

5. lisalawrence_personal

Thanks for confirming about teaching in a single sex school - that is very useful to know!

I will edit my original post to make that more accurate on the short time! Thank you!

6. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

The questions are on just one page so it's a very short questionnaire which takes less than a minute to complete.

The 'boys and girls being separated' question could have done with an option to say that almost all lessons are mixed but lessons with separate genders are included so that the pupils can ask questions they'd feel unhappy about asking in a mixed group.

I think it would have been useful to include a box for teachers to suggest ideas for resources they'd like to be developed or would find useful. Another box could be used for teachers to list the resources they usually use. That would give a picture of what the majority of schools use and an idea of what is taught/not included.