1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher Pensions are so slow for new retirees..

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Rednorfolk, Aug 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Rednorfolk

Rednorfolk New commenter

I a due like thousands of others to retire from teachers on 31st August (three weeks !) and yet I have no idea of what pension I will actually get, I have been told that I might not even get the breakdown until that day !!. How on earth are you going to plan for the future. All the so called "calculators" on the site are useless, as they don't cater for breaks of service and working abroad and employed by private academies Anyone else in the same boat ?

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Post on the Retirement Forum for a targeted audience.

border_walker and cissy3 like this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

There are so many retirees in August that it is always close to the wire.ive never heard anyone not receiving the breakdown although some, like mine, get readjusted slightly when the full information is available.

border_walker and cissy3 like this.
  4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

TPS will have provided a forecast online for you, based on your record of contributions made since you started teaching. Have you checked this in detail for any errors or omissions? If the contributions record is accurate, the pension forecast is likely to be what you get, pretty much.

cissy3 likes this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

LA made a total balls of mine. Took months to sort out; their error. Hope you kept all your payslips and P60s from the year dot.

6. Rednorfolk

Rednorfolk New commenter

7. Rednorfolk

Rednorfolk New commenter

i have not received any forecast or anything in writing. Now school has finished I am now able to sit by the phone for an hour or so before someone answers only to tell me they are working hard on it.

8. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

They track it online so you can go in the website as long as you have signed up.

border_walker, smoothnewt and cissy3 like this.
  9. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

MAGAorMIGA, smoothnewt and emerald52 like this.
  10. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

You really need to do this. Sign up and check out your employment/contributions record and pension forecast.

border_walker and emerald52 like this.
  11. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I would echo smoothnewt's advice - and don't take it for granted that they are bound to have it right. When I first registered at teacherspensions website I was disappointed with my pension projection - until I noticed that they'd "lost" a whole year (2000-01) from my reckonable service!

emerald52 likes this.
  12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

They will let you know. They say not to worry if you don't hear anything until right up to the last minute.

Marshall likes this.
  13. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I checked mine online and noticed some were missing not TP's fault but the LA so contacted them and it was sorted the same day.

MAGAorMIGA, BelleDuJour and Marshall like this.
  14. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I use the TP online service and have spoken a few times to them on the phone and they are brilliant!

The problem with me now is the local authority - no response to TP after 5 weeks and I've chased them.

BelleDuJour likes this.