1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher Pension

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sally006, Aug 13, 2020.

1. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I'm sending my paperwork on Monday. Was going to hang on till Christmas but my College have done a couple of things lately which have made me angry enough to finally push the button.
    Retirement application Monday. Resignation Tuesday.
    This is what getting divorced must feel like.

2. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Sorry to hear that but I know you are not alone. I know of a lot of teachers and TAs who have just had enough. Some no longer feel safe and are “pushing the button” out of self preservation. They will be a great loss to our profession. Many have exceptional talents and great professional integrity. I genuinely planned to go at 60 but I know I can’t manage it emotionally or physically. I want to have some years to enjoy retirement even if poorer than I imagined I would be. It is a different world to the one I entered 30 years ago.

artboyusa and handee2 like this.
  3. handee2

handee2 New commenter

I agree with your statement that teaching has changed beyond all recognition, I could not recommend it as a career choice to my niece who has just got a first in Maths. A different niece is a born teacher with 6 years' experience and loves the job but is getting stressed about things that the school has imposed outside her classroom. I took early retirement myself this term and am enjoying the freedom it offers.