1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher paying to go on a trip

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by H8876467, Mar 20, 2012.

1. I'm a GTP at a secondary school and have been ASKED to help out by accompanying another member of staff on a trip. I happily agreed but have since been asked if I can pay the same amount as the students to go on the trip...£15. I said yes, as the trip can't go ahead otherwise so it wouldn't be fair on the pupils but it's been bugging me as it doesn't seem fair that I have to pay to do my job.
    Does anyone know if this is standard practice?

Thanks.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is not fair on you to have to pay. You cannot be expected to, so refuse.

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I have once paid to go on a trip. When all costings were done, it would have pushed the pupil contribution to a level that I was unhappy with, so all staff paid 50% of what the students did. Since the cost included food, transport and overnight accomodation in London, plus things that we actully wanted to do, we were all happy with that.
    If I was told I had to pay, that would be another matter!

4. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

I would pay to - say- see a play and going as an extra member of staff above the required number (if I wanted to see the play!).

Pay to allow a trip to run? 'Are you mad?' would be my comment!

5. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

No way would I be paying to go on a trip, particularly if the place is required for the trip to go agead. I have paid to go on trips as an extra and have had staff offer to pay to go on trips I have arranged (again as extras) We wanted to take extra staff on a residential this year (above the standard free places) so school have paid the cost of these extra staff members. They are indeed taking the pi$$.

6. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Not standard practice but sharp practice.
    Do not be blackmailed into paying...trip can't go ahead.... as it wont be fair....
    Rubbish.
    School pays. Period.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I know school budgets are tight but no secondary school is in such serious financial straits that it can't find £15 if it wants to to allow the trip to go ahead.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Absolutely. I've never heard such appalling nonsense. If I were that head I'd rather pay it out of my own pocket than ask one of the staff to pay.

9. Again, thanks for everyone's replies.
    It's good to know that everyone else thinks this is really cheeky too.
    My union advised that I am in my rights to refuse to go. Hope that helps if anyone else finds themself in a similar position.
    As a GTP I'm keen to be involved in as many activities as possible to tick off standards, develop subject knowledge etc, and I'm convinced that the school are exploiting this. In fact, I don't think it's the school, I think it's the head of dept who is tight with the budget to say the least.

10. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

In that case I suggest that your HT has no idea you have been asked to pay to go on this trip.
    Could always give the HT your cheque/cash etc......

11. the cost of taking staff should be divided equally between all the students and added onto what they pay - and i say that as someone who knows all about week-long foreign trips costing hundreds of pounts.

12. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I am all too familiar with this. In my class the students were completing an activity which involved some food type materials which I went and purchased myself on the basis (agreed by hod) that I could claim this back from my budget. When I went to submit the budget form, my hod then blocked it and told me I should have asked the students to contribute the ingredients or make a donation. I lost that money and I am only part time.

13. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

That also reminded me of my first PGCE placement. My supervising teacher who was also the hod, decided that I should complete this interactive type activity which involved a large class of students. She had written down a long list of resources that I needed and expected me to go and buy it all myself. She also expected me to print all resources on my home printer for the classes. Sorry, needed to get that off my chest!