1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher Pay UPDATE 21/1/2020

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Rott Weiler, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Just announced by DfE today, bottom of MPR (M1) to increase by 6.7% in September 2020 (5.8% Outer London, 5% Inner London). Details of what happens to rest of MPR not clear. 2.5% for "Experienced teachers, heads and school leaders", which presumably includes UPS.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...ampaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=daily

There should be more detail when the DfE's actual letter to STRB is published but it's not on DfE site yet.

2. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Whilst this is a good thing I would like to see the effect on the rest of the pay scale.

If "Experienced teachers, heads and school leaders (would) see an above inflation pay increase of 2.5 per cent to their pay ranges" there is going to be a bottle neck in the pay scales.

agathamorse and slstrong123 like this.
  3. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

Civil servant: "What's the strategic plan, Minister?"

Minister: "Just look. We've got a lovely bit of freshly minted sticking plaster for the latest teachers' pay round"

BFEM: No further evidence required of the continued and absolute non-priority for the Westminster government (and the majority of the electorate which voted them in) of English state schooling.

Plus ça change......

4. Rott Weiler

Attached Files:

letap likes this.
  5. h001

h001 New commenter

How long do people typically stay at M6 on the scale for?

6. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

There are always plenty of good nuggets in there...I like this one:
    "Institute of Student Employers and High Fliers 2018 data, focused more on large graduate scheme recruiters, suggested average graduate salaries of £28,250 and £30,000 respectively. Therefore, significantly uplifting starting salaries to £30,000 by 2022 will position teacher pay amongst the most competitive in the graduate labour market"

...did anyone not notice that someone thinks that making the starting salary reach the 'average' four years LATER would now mean that teacher's pay is somehow now in the top half of the scale?

letap and h001 like this.
  7. letap

letap Occasional commenter

There is already a funding crisis faced by schools, this rise and the additional employers pension contribution is not affordable, unless there is a drastic reduction of staff in schools, large increase in school budgets or possibly a drastic cost cutting saving enacted by a reform in the teachers pension scheme.

8. teacher4l1fe

teacher4l1fe New commenter

This is exactly the problem though, you say we can't afford it so teachers coming into the profession should continue to go underpaid?

We have a recruitment crisis essentially across the board in secondary and whilst few of us teach for the money, I 100% agree that having starting pay parallel to other graduate scheme job salaries will make a big difference, even if it just makes the list of jobs to consider for a graduate.

I broadly agree with the governments approach but this not being affordable proves that they need to evaluate their priorities moving forward and need to invest in schools to make it possible.

My main concern over pay is actually that all the pay scales will over time get closer and closer providing less incentive to progress.

ridleyrumpus likes this.
  9. teacher4l1fe

teacher4l1fe New commenter

2 years I believe and the same for each UPS scale.

10. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Very much depends on the school they are in and what the pay policy is.
    I think, and I've been out of the system for a couple of years now, that the expectation is that after 2 years you become eligible to move to the UPS and then each pay point on the UPS takes 2 years.

So to go in at M1 and reach U3 could take as little as 10 years, however, anecdotally I've heard of more cases where teachers had to take more years rather than less to progress as Heads become more willing/pressured into denying progress onto and then through the upper pay range.

The gap between M6 and U1, under this suggestion, becomes less but I don't know what effect that may have. It could reduce the pressure on Heads to withhold progression, as they don't save as much, and it could also reduce the numbers of teachers applying to move on to the UPS as there is less of a financial incentive to do so - particularly as, again anecdotally, I am hearing that a number of schools are pushing more responsibilities onto teachers who are on the UPS rather than paying them TLRs.

11. letap

letap Occasional commenter

I am not saying that teachers should go underpaid. The pay increases are a catchy headline which give the British public the impression that teachers are well paid. However, if there is not significant increase in the average school's budget then schools will have great difficulties paying staff due to above inflation rises and significantly higher employer pension contributions.
    Schools will attempt to save money by getting rid of staff; reducing the numbers of experienced but expensive staff; not promote staff up the main scale and probably informally suggest to new staff that they should opt out of the teachers pension. These things are already going on.
    In a number of years, I can see the present teachers pension arrangements being replaced by a vastly inferior defined contribution scheme with much lower employer contribution rates.

12. install

install Star commenter

Depends if they move schools where they may be asked to start all over again. There is always UPS next.

Overall the pay increments every 2 years are peanuts though.

13. TheChronicler

TheChronicler New commenter

Very interesting set of charts there.

So UK teachers have relatively low pay compared to many other European countries - but UK Headteachers are amongst the highest paid in the countries included?

The growing gap between worker/management wages in the private sector has been much criticised in recent years - do we have the same problem in education?

14. Rott Weiler

Where are the charts?

15. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I think they are referring to the charts within the STRB report.
    I noticed the CEOs salaries are not part of graphical information only the headteacher role (which is high in oecd). The other thing which has not been addressed is the pay progression compared to high flyers which I would suggest is better than teaching, so same old retention problem (especially with stem and mfl).
    Referring to what Boris said education funding being increased by 4 billion odd, these pay increases and employer increase in pension contribution will not even return education funding to pre 2010 levels, in real terms. In conclusion same old problems then.

Rott Weiler likes this.