1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher or teenager - I don't know who is worse!! ;)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doglover, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

This thread is tongue-in-cheek!
    My daughter had a leaflet to produce on anaemia, which took some work, particularly as she has no more interest in anaemia than the man in the moon!
    She dutifully took it in yesterday, but only 6 of them had bothered to do the homework!!
    Instead of taking the homework in from those who had done it, the teacher said each pupil individually, had to bring it to her in registration this morning - so get out of their registration class (the HE is class is mixed, so not all in the same reg. class) and take it to her registration class.
    That's fine, if a little silly, but of course my dear, darling daughter forgot hers, even though she was one of the ones who had it done in the first place. Organisation isn't one of her strong points :)
    Of course she tells the teacher she will get it to her by the end of break. Did she text me after registration to tell me this? No, of course she didn't! She left it until almost the end of break, and said she needed it "Sooooonnnnnn!! xxx". The message had the added instruction that I was not to come into reception if there were any pupils outside :p
    I texted her back to explain that, being as I was still in my "night attire", I would do it as soon as I possibly could, to which she replied, "By the end of break?". I think not!!! She will have to wait until the beginning of lunch!
    Isn't it just as well, I didn't head off out to Belfast, on my shopping trip as I had planned?
    I don't know whether to murder the teacher who didn't collect it in (she regularly does things like this - she is very sweet but a bit dottery), the teenager who thinks I am at her beck and call - or both, lol!!

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Lol! Bless her, what a bummer when she'd done it in the first place!
    This reminds me of an email we recently received from the Head of my daughter's primary school (as did all the P6 parents).
    We're now forbidden from handing anything like this into the school. He says that it's good for the children to learn responsibility. I see what he means in a way. They have a very successful reward and punishment system at the school and it wouldn't be fair if some kids were bailed out by parents and others not.
    I'd be one of the softies like you though DL [​IMG] ... within reason, anyway.

3. Yes, I am definitely of the "I'll bail you out just this once" type of parent, but inevitably we end up running around, helping them out when their lack of organisation gets them into scrapes. It doesn't seem to get better as they get older, either....
    I think the minute a child emerges from the womb we have a lifelong duty to be there when things go tits-up for them....Is there some unwritten rule? [​IMG]
    It's amazing how sensible and organised I became once I had a child.....[​IMG]
    How on earth does that teacher have the time for ticking off homework received in registration time???? Think of the disruption with kids walking in at odd times.Talk about making work for yourself and neglecting tutorial duties...I'd have had a word with her if I'd been her line manager.

4. May2

May2 Established commenter

The times I had to drive the 8 miles to deliver daughter's clarinet in time for her clarinet lesson. Other things forgotten, she often had to put up without, but after forking out for the clarinet lesson I wasn't going to let her miss them. The worst cases were when she left it on the school bus which was then used as a public bus afterwards and I had to ring the garage for them to check the bus for it. They were really good though. This happened on several occasions, and instead of me having to drive 12 miles in the opposite direction to the bus garage to collect it, they put it on the bus for her to pick up on her return journey. She had missed the lesson then though.
    It is funny how it goes though as there were many times when she wasn't really bothered about playing the clarinet and we nearly gave it up. However after going through Uni and not playing for five years, she has taken it up again paying for her own lessons now and playing in an amateur orchestra.

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I worked at the same school as my daughter when she was in Year 10. During that time, she spoke to me in school on 3 occasions. One was to ask for money for the tuck shop, one was to ask for a lift home and the third was a strident request to 'please drive home during non contact time' to get the rice for FT that she'd forgotten that morning. What's more, I did all three! I'm not sure it did any long term favours though - she's still disorganised.

6. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

By the time I got to the school, lunchtime was just beginning, she walked around the corner to reception as I walked through the front door. She took the folder off me, barely acknowledging my existence, and disappeared again.
    Daughterly love ;)