1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher or parent?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by berolmarsh, Jan 24, 2016.

1. berolmarsh

berolmarsh New commenter

My secondary-age daughter is preparing a debate discussing the ever blurring lines between parental and teacher roles and responsibilities. She would love some feedback related to things that are happening in primary and secondary schools that perhaps in the past would have been undertaken at home (these may well fall under Pupil Premium funded activities).

As examples, in schools that I have worked in/know about, schools have taken on responsibility for:
    -brushing teeth
    -transporting reluctant learners to school
    -toilet training
    -teachers sitting with children at lunch time to replicate a family meal
    -taking children out regularly in the local vicinity to broaden their extremely limited experiences and language skills.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. lola79

lola79 New commenter

What a great debate for your daughter!
    Reading your list, I can't say that my secondary school does exactly those examples, but I rather fear we are providing the kind of support and encouragement for hard work and achievement that some children sorely lack at home. I spend my lunchtimes supporting weaker children to do their homework, but any well-disposed adult (with enough time) could be available to help them through it. For a small number of my pupils, staff are the kind of cheerleaders to their achievement that they don't have at home. Several members of staff are listening ears to pupils who are suffering real mental distress. This has always been part of teaching, but it may be more appropriate to the role of parent.