1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher on support plan

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Vitalistics, May 15, 2019.

1. Vitalistics

Vitalistics New commenter

Hi all,

Since my last postings of being completely overwhelmed, I made the active decision to reduce my workload.

I have a small family and my baby needs me in the evenings.

However, after a recent batch of observations, I was told I am being placed on a support plan.

I'm still quite new to teaching. (Not long in this new school either)

My head of department said, improve in a term or face formal capability in front of the head.

I am now panicking big time.

I feel like resigning.

My question is...How long does formal capability last? I need this job to last me for the next 6 months at least. Or at least, any teaching job to last me the next 6 months.

Very confused about my next course of action!

2. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Depends on the reasons for placing you on formal capability - can be a quick thing lasting a few months if it's a quick fix, or something which lasts a year. Essentially it's at the school's discretion and the procedure will be laid out in a formal document somewhere which you can ask your HR department for.

3. hiddendavid

hiddendavid New commenter

Hate to say it but resign now, or before the 31st and look for a job elswhere, tescos, stacking shelves, another job you have expertise in or avon even, you wont get out of this easily and its not worth it, particularly with a young baby, get out and enjoy the child whist you can and never look back

4. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Contact your union at regional, your school rep should refer this upwards
    (Please tell me you are in a Union)

Download the school Capability, Performance Management, Disciplinary and Grievance policies (and any others, get them all) whilst you still can easily. You may be able to do this from home now, if so do it.

Read them, familiarise yourself with them esp PM and Capability.

There may become a time when you will not have access to the email systems etc, make copies of anything that may be useful. Letters, memos anything.Better yet if the school uses Outlook look at how to make a backup of your mail box and keep a copy. (Search on Google on how to make an Outlook Backup file ie a .pst file.)
    (If the school uses something else look at how to back up that one.)

Make notes on your recollection of the meetings inc dates and times esp the meeting with HOD in front of the head. Send that notes of your recollection to yourself at school and yourself at a home email address, the HOD, Head via the schools email system.

HolyMahogany and agathamorse like this.
  5. ridleyrumpus

How long can Formal Capability last? It depends on the policies in your school and how they choose to apply them.

My Schools Capability policy states that after a period of informal capability where targets are not met the process goes formal but gives no indication on how long or short the formal monitoring period can be or even if there is one as one of the options is (in the most serious cases) is dismissal with notice.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Vitalistics

So I was placed on it after a failed observation in which they said my lesson wasn't challenging enough (bottom set, very, very weak pupils). I gave them an information hunt task which was not challenging enough. I teach those pupils day in day out and I actually disagree with this feedback but I can't challenge it.

So yes...bad teaching.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Vitalistics

I am in a union but so far, everyone at school (including HOD) has been telling me this is entirely 'supportive.' So I don't know ... do i contact my union?!

To be fair, lots of staff have been on this plan at school and have passed it....however all the staff in question have been extremely stressed by the process.

It doesn't feel supportive at all. I either pass or get put onto formal.

If I am honest, I hate teaching. I want to leave asap. This career has given me unending stress. The constant watching of my back, the bad behaviour of the children, being solely responsible for progress. Everyone at school seems so stressed. I'm not sure I want to be part of this stressed environment anymore.

I told this to my husband, who told me I am just moaning and being dramatic and that he is tired of my moaning. It broke my heart.

Since starting this workplace, I've requested anxiety medication from my doctor which I have been using for some time now.

I keep dreaming about my HOD having a go at me and last night I dreamt I was told that the HOD would be observing three lessons back to back on Friday. Lol.

tenpast7 likes this.
  8. Vitalistics

I need this specific income for visa purposes. It is a long story which can't be explained in a comment. I am literally between a rock and a hard place. If I didn't have the visa issue hanging over my head, I would have resigned months ago. And I would have left teaching and never, ever looked back.

9. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

Putting you on a support plan after 1 bad observation is ridiculous.
    Everyone has bad lessons. Just because someone happened to be watching one doesn't make it any worse.

10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Will ill health affect your visa? If not and you are suffering from anxiety, then consider getting signed off. Or resign by 31st may and hope they will lay off you for the next few months. If you just need a job, any job to keep your visa, then there are plenty of shop or basic admin jobs around temporarily.

11. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

Give yourself some space - get signed off, it is possible you’re suffering from stress. Going off for a bit will perhaps give you perspective.

renegade29 likes this.
  12. ridleyrumpus

Your HoD who

has told you it is "supportive"?

A couple of things
    • your career has been threatened (possible your HoD showing how "strong and firm" he is to the head at your expense) so yes Union NOW! and at regional.
    • Your HoD is a D..I..C..K and not to be trusted
    How I hate how teachers can have their career/home threatened from one subjective observation.

13. Vitalistics

I actually don't even know what to do next.

Do I stick around and see this informal support through or find another job?

:(

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Vitalistics

I called my union and explained everything. They said it seems like it will be a supportive process so just try to hit your targets. This made me feel like being in a union is pointless. I'm with NEU

lardylegs likes this.
  15. Vitalistics

Due to the visa issue (need to be continuously working til next year) I can't do this. :/ I take anxiety medication already. Perhaps I need to ask the doctor to up the dose. :/

16. Vitalistics

Basically the visa is dependent on earning above 19k in the same workplace and this income needs to be earned continuously until around Jan/Feb of next year.

I'm a bit stuck as to what to do.

I could end up on capability and then lose both job and have a big issue with the visa.

17. ridleyrumpus

IMHO, strange. Who did you talk to?

18. Vitalistics

Just one of the people on the phone! It felt utterly impersonal too.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. ridleyrumpus

Where at?

Have you talked to your local rep? They shouk have reported it "up" for you.

20. Vitalistics

I just googled the number for my union and called them. I even asked the lady on the phone whether I need to contact my union rep and tell them that I'm on informal support and she said no because it is informal and to call back if anything changes....

So do I need to be contacting my union rep (who I don't even know who that is but I can try to surreptitiously find out lol)

agathamorse likes this.